Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stamhaney
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Need Help-Personal Firewall blocking Wireless Router connections

Hello,

I have a UTStarcom® UT-300R2U Wireless Router, a Dell Laptop with a DW1501 Wireless LAN card and a valid subscription of McAfee (with the latest updates). I am unable to connect to my router wirelessly unless I disable the McAfee firewall and some McAfee Services from the Services applet. I am also not able to ping the router and get a "Destination unreachable" message. When I do an Ipconfig, I can see that the laptop has picked up a default IP (169.254.XX.XX). However if I disable the firewall and some services (see attached screenshot), I am able to connect to my router again.

The  McAfee Firewall blocks incoming connections from the router (like the dhcp server in the router). As the Laptop does not get a IP from the dhcp server in the router, it picks up the default IP, as a result I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried adding the router IP in the safe list in "My Network Connections" section in McAfee, but that does not help.

Can some one please help?

Thanks

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need Help-Personal Firewall blocking Wireless Router connections

Sounds as if the firewall got messed up you should see the router as 192.168 etc.. Actually in the pic above the firewall is still running you have stopped the network agent scanner and proxy service.

I would try to set firewall to defaults and see if network is detected after a reboot. Try setting the ip as a fixed ip for the laptop. I seem to remember wireless issues have you tried wired as a test?

In desperation I would uninstall Mcafee via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

then reinstall and see it it helps. I asume the network works as it should when Mcafee not installed and net as well?

stamhaney
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I tried your suggestions Peacekeeper, and set the Firewall to default values. The Network is detected and added in "My Network Connections", but it still didnt work. I tried debugging further and see that if I just turn the McAfee Network Agent off, it works and I am able to connect to the router (Everything else is on ). Any ideas? What does the McAfee Network Agent do? If I turn it off, what kind of issues could I face?

Thanks for your help!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Best you try a tech support chat via useful links tab above and see what they can suggest. I assume everything fine with network agent off . that is a starting point with them. Have you tried wired that is what they will ask.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community