Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 1 of 199

Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Here is the issue I am having and I have no solution at hand.  Intermittently, my Mcafee Total Protection Firewall is blocking my internet access on my desktop only.  My other devices, like my video game system, do not have issues.  My Firefox and IE will simply hang up when starting, or when opening a new tab or changing pages will hang.  I have done numerous tests, have been in contact with my internet provider, TWC, and have had the internet equipment updated at my house.  My Firefox, IE, Windows 7 and Mcafee are all up to date.  I was able to track the problem to the firewall occasionally blocking access.  I contacted Mcafee phone support and we were on the phone yesterday for over an hour and forty minutes.  Once we tried a lot of steps and issues, we finally uninstalled McAfee, used the removal tool, changed to safe mode, a lot more steps, etc.  We finally re-downloaded Mcafee and re-installed it.  The issue popped up again this evening.  The only way to make it work is to shut off the firewall, close the browser and restart it.  But I do not want to have to use the computer with the firewall off and I can't find a solution.  I have to call Mcafee back tomorrow if I can't fix this, but I just don't want to spend another hour or so on the phone with no resolution.  Any help would be very appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 198 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Locking this thread since we couldn't reproduce this issue at house and also there is no movement in gathering data for further analysis.

Summary:

1. Posters indicated they are facing an issue with connecting to the Network when McAfee Firewall is ON - turning OFF Firewall was used as a workaround.

2. Later it was identified that turning off NetGuard seems to help.

3. Selvan got in touch with xboxerj and tried to capture data - but couldn't repro the issue at that moment - Gave instructions to gather logs - Engineering noticed that logs did not contain any significant information on network connectivity.

4. Few posters mentioned that turning OFF Netguard did not help

5. Selvan posted instructions to capture data from affected PC.

6. In the last few posts xboxerj indicated that this issue gets resolved by turning OFF Web Advisor.

Affected users please start a new discussion and point us there so that we could start over again.

View solution in original post

198 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

You have already done what normally helps what I suggest is three fold

1. Scan your PC in case something is trying to black Mcafee

try getsusp and malwarebytes (make sure you install the free version not the trial and adwcleaner

2. You have not any other AV/firewall installed or had one installed prior to McAfee? If so run its own removal tool

3. It above no help post back and I will ping a higher level tech to chime in here. Can you post the job number for the last support call please.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 199

Jump to solution

Moved to Personal Firewall as a better spot.

---

Peter

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 4 of 199

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.

1.Actually, this is kind of funny.  I DID have Malwarebytes installed, and updated and run regularly.  When the Mcafee tech remote accessed my computer, one of the first things he did was go to the list of programs I had through my control panel.  HE then proceeded to uninstall Malwarebytes from my system, saying it shouldn't be there.  Huh.

2.No, the only other firewall installed was the stock Windows Defender.  I have had Mcafee installed, with the most current version, since the day I bought the computer a couple of years ago.

3.The job number is 1724109073.  Created date:  04/23/2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, as I am ready to pull my hair out over this one. 

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 199

Jump to solution

Malwarebytes free is save to keep on Malwarebytes premium with the real time scanning option is not a good idea to have installed.

I will ping the tech we talk to re your issues

Did you reinstall MWB and run those programs I suggested?

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 6 of 199

Jump to solution

I did re-install MWB that the Mcafee tech support representative uninstalled from my PC.  So far I have run the following of the programs you mentioned, and here are the results:

Malwarebytes showed no issues

Stinger showed no issues

Rootkit Remover showed no issues

I am going to run the getsup this evening

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 7 of 199

Jump to solution

I did attempt to run the getsup program, but in the popup box where it asks you to agree to the license agreement it mentions the transfer of files including possibly personal information.  I'm not comfortable unless I absolutely have to with the chance of that happening.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 199

Jump to solution

Getsusp is fine to run I have been running it since it first was released without 1 issue. re the terms and conditions I am unsure what files are transferred other than suspect files it finds. ie a document that could be infected.

I have pinged the tech he will respond when he is at work and as I am not privy to his actual work schedule it maybe a day or so.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 9 of 199

Jump to solution

I did use the getsup this morning.  It said I had 0 suspicious and 4 unknown files.  It said it was submitting the info to Mcafee Labs.  The other thing I saw was that it said it was saving a copy of the results to my downloads folder.  When I went to review them, it said the items were password protected.  Yet my mcafee account password as well as my community password didn't work, so I was wondering who had access and who controlled the password.  Otherwise, let's see what happens and hopefully a resolution is in sight.  Thank you for all your time and effort so far, it really means a lot.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 199

Jump to solution

That password protection is mainly for Mcafee techs who need to lookup the results ie they would contact you and ask you to post or email the file to them.

No tech arrived yet must be off all weekend

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community