Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkenno
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

McAfee Firewall keeps shutting down

Jump to solution

I rang McAfee support regarding the above problem.  They came in remotely and stated I had a virus and to contact support for viruses.  I note this will cost me $129.00 if I get them to fix it.  I have ran scans and cannot see any viruses.

When I turn on the firewall it automatically goes back to off.  I do it again - Turn On - and it goes off.  Can anyone help me!!  I am not very technical.

Thanks heaps

Kenno

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 19

Re: McAfee Firewall keeps shutting down

Jump to solution

Karthiks usually has his next day organised I will reask him later tonight . He works till 7pm our time so still time.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

First what they said can be the cause but first check this. Go to the start button and run command and type services.msc and see if base filtering engine and windows firewall are showing in the list and both running and automatic setting.

Post back what is there. If they are not there a tech needs to access your Pc and fix the registry. There is a thread re this here

https://community.mcafee.com/message/285674#285674

If so support should have checked this so also post your job number please.

kkenno
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying.

The two items you mentioned ie base filtering engine and windows firewall are not shown in the list.  Guess I have a malware. My job number is  SR-1071776894 (#6356-357692279-3857). I thought I would have been helped.

What do you suggest I do now.

THANKS

KKENNO

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

No no malware you need a tech to fix the registry. Karthiks works 9 - 7pm our time so can call you and fix the issue . He is a teir 2.5 tech and very reliable so will ping him to contact you. While waiting try some of these scanners

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

kkenno
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

THANK YOU BUT I JUST PAID FOR SUPPORT - I AM REALLY TIME POOR AT MOMENT.  SORRY ABOUT CAPS BUT MY CAPS KEY HAS JUST FALLEN OFF.  GREAT DAY I AM HAVING.

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY.  I SUPPOSE I CANNOT CANCEL MY SUPPORT NOW. 

THANKS HEAPS. IT WAS MCAFEE WHO SAID  I HAD A VIRUS IN THE FIRST PLACE.  A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE FIRST SUPPORT I GOT AFTER PAYING FOR THE LAST YEARS. 

KAREN

Message was edited by: kkenno on 30/04/13 5:27:18 AM
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

So you have not done the support yet as really I feel you have what we are seeing on some installs that those services are missing and karthiks can fix them.  If at all possible ask for a deferral till he has a go.

While waiting do a malwarebytes scan (free version) and stinger as well as a couple of the others it is worth a go.

If you are worried re installing the scanners you are welome to call me as I am 1000k north of you.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/04/13 8:46:26 PM
kkenno
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

HI PEACEKEEPER

THE ONLY SUPPORT WAS THAT MCAFEE RAN A SCAN TO SAY I HAD A VIRUS.  I THEN CONTACTED THE TECHNICIANS AND REQUESTED SUPPORT TO GET RID OF IT.  I HAVE NOT ACTUAL ARRANGED IT YET BUT HAVE PAID AND HAVE A SERVICE NUMBER ETC.

I AM PRESENTING RUNNING MALAWARE BYTES SCAN AND I WILL TRY OTHERS.  IT WOULD BE GOOD IF I COULD CONTACT YOU IF NEEDED.  NOT SURE WHETHER YOU WANT TO SEND ME YOUR EMAIL - I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH PROCESSES.

IT IS JUST NICE TO KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

KAREN

THE MALAWARE BYTES SCA DEDICATED NOTHING.  I AM NOWING SCANNING WITH ROOTKIT REMOVER - NOTHING DETECTED.  I WILL TRY STINGER THEN.

Message was edited by: kkenno on 30/04/13 2:58:26 PM

Message was edited by: kkenno on 30/04/13 3:00:36 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

So they ran a scan . hmm  Did you update mcafee and run a scan by it as well? I spoke to the high level tech and he feels they should have done what I suggested fix the missing services first. You may have a virus as well if you are unlucky. I have pm'd you my email

kkenno
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

Yes I DID - NOTHING DETECTED.

I HAVE PM YOU.

Have a good day.

kkenno
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi

Just connected another keyboard.  I ran all scans and nothing shows up. Have not heard from support or Karthiks.  What do you suggest - I really want it fixed.

I also note that Windows Firewall does not work as well.  It has an error code 0x6D9. 

Thanks

Karen

Message was edited by: kkenno on 1/05/13 1:29:59 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community