Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beschi
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Mail clients take forever to contact POP server

Hi all,

I am running WinXP with Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express on 5 different POP mail accounts.

Up to last week I did not experience any problems.

However, since re-installing the McAfee suite last week I am experiencing the following problem:

Contacting the respective POP mail accounts takes exactly 60 sec. The message displayed in Thunderbird or Outlook reads (correspondingly) "contacting POP.[server].[domain]". After those 60 sec of "hibernation" the actual download of the mails is fast and smooth. The problem is reproducible and independent of the POP server queried (I have accounts with several independent providers) and mail client (Thunderbird and Outlook Express).

I am suspecting the McAfee suite and its Firewall function...

Before problem:

McAfee suite withOUT McAfee Firewall and SiteAdvisor.

ZoneAlarm Firewall

Now:

Reinstalled McAfee suite (after purging the system clean with McAfee's Total Removal Tool)

McAfee Firewall

SiteAdvisor

No ZoneAlarm

Nothing else changed on the system

My little taskbar POP mail notifier program has no problems contacting the POP servers.

Deactivating the McAfee Firewall does not remedy the problem.

Any ideas?

Anyone with the same issue?

Help appreciated!

Cheers!

1 Reply
mike_kallet
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: Mail clients take forever to contact POP server

Don't know if you have solved your problem.  I'm on Windows 7 and Outlook 2007, but have a similar problem..  Try turning off the real time attachement option under real time scans.   This solved the problem for me, although doesn't solve the real issue.  I spent two hours with mcafee and they couldn't figure it out.  So while the protection is less (becareful about attachments), at least you can get our email.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community