Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gong67
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

MVT finding many problems with Personal Firewall 11 in Security Center 2010

This problem has been logged with McAfee as

Service Request #: 530912754      Created Date: 07/10/2010 19:48:46

I ran MVT on Security Center 2010 just to make sure all was OK, not having any particular problems. This found over 40 errors in PF11, most of which it could not fix (missing files) so I redownloaded the Security Center from within my subscription account (which automatically correctly uninstalled the previously installed version) and tried MVT again. This time it only(!) had about 30 errors, of which it could fix 2.

McAfee support chat couldn't find anything obviously wrong. Their "solution" was to run an update from Security Center and run MVT again, but they didn't wait for the answer...

Having done this, I still get the same results. See attached MVT results (I have removed my account number). Security Center is not reporting any problems. I have checked a few files and MVT is correct in that these files it is trying to find aren't there, so I hope it is a fault in MVT's list of files and and not a fault with PF11.

Thanks

Brian

4 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: MVT finding many problems with Personal Firewall 11 in Security Center 2010

Hi Gong67,

To get some more deep into this , May I know whether did we have any other security software installed in this machine previously ?
Also did we run a clean removal of McAfee using MCPR reinstall the programs and check the status ?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Gong67
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Dinz - I had Security Center 2009 installed previously which came with the Dell, no other security software installed at any time except McAfee safe search  and site advisor. I didn't run MPCR, I just let the McAfee auto uninstaller/installer do the job. I will try what I think you are suggesting, ie do the normal Windows uninstall, then run MPCR, then check all McAfee files removed, then redownload SC 2010 and try again. I will post the results one way or the other.

Gong67

Gong67
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Did the uninstall followed by running MPCR (successful result), reinstalled Security Center and ran MVT - no problems found. Looks like it should be made clear that it is essential to run MPCR after software uninstall.

Certainly didn't get this advice from the tech when I did the chat.

Service Request #: 530912754
-     Created Date: 07/10/2010 19:48:46

Thanks Dinz, all OK.
Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Glad that you are OK now , Do start a new thread if any issues with McAfee.

Cheers,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community