cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernard46
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Firewall -> Networks: Win 7 and XP Networking

I have a Win 7 Home Premium and XP Pro system connected via a wired network - both completely up to date with all fixes. The Win 7 machine can see the XP system and access its files. The XP machine can see the Windows Workgroup (WISCNT) but it cannot access the Win 7 system in any way - it cannot even see it. Windows networking is set on for the XP machine. I get a message on the XP system saying I don't have access to the network when I try to click on the WISCNT icon to explore it.

If I take a look at McAfee on the Win 7 system the Firewall->Networks window shows that 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 is a trusted network. The XP machine's address is 192.168.1.73. So having torn what little remains of my hair out for a day flushing caches, resetting TCP, Netbios etc on the XP machine, all to no avail I decided I had nothing to lose by specifically adding 192.168.1.73 as a trusted address in the McAfee Firewall->Networks window. What do you know? Everything works fine. The XP machine suddenly has no problem participating in Windows networking and I can see all the shared resources on the Win 7 system and access them as expected. The McAfee Firewall version is 10.15. Despite this being a DHCP network its unlikely to cause me a problem since the XP Pro system is likely to retain the same IP address on a home network, but the behaviour is nevertheless worrying. Does anyone know why I have to explicitly specify the XP Pro system as a trusted resource? By the way my wife's wireless attached laptop (also running XP Pro) does not suffer from the same problem and networks happily.

5 Replies
repolew
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Firewall -> Networks: Win 7 and XP Networking

Firewall 11.0.378 update on 4/27/2010 apparently zapped the connections for two wireless machine (one WinXP and the other Win7) on my home network, so could not do file sharing or printer sharing with the firewall machine. Was able to connect from the firewall machine to the other machines, but not the other way around. Prior to this update no problems were noted.

In summary, all of the symptoms described in the previous post, including IP address range for trusted network that was still in place.

Explicitly adding the IP addresses for the wireless machines under Firewall / Connections fixed the connection problem.  THANKS FOR THE HELP IN IDENTIFYING A FIX!

Will look into other posts to see if this update actually caused the problem, but the timing is quite suspicious. The previous successful connnection was on 4/25 and nothing was changed on either of the wireless machines.

Bernard46
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I guess one important piece of information I omitted from my first post is that my wife's machine (XP Pro as well) is running Norton and not McAffee, which probably explains why her machine did not have the problem!

Bernard

urganda
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

I think it has something to do with different antivirus installed. My network works fine for my father's computer, wich uses virusscan, but not for a virtual computer using no antivirus. I haven't tried yet with my sister's computer, wich uses a different antivirus.

Explicitly adding the IP address to the zones list does not work for me.

I've also tried addding the client computer in the "network map" view, both as a standard computer and as a linux computer (in the hope mcaffee does not expect to find a mcaffee installed in linux).

I can't see the host, mcaffee protected computer using "net view". "Net use" doesn't work.

I can see back my computer by using nbtstat, but it does not list network shares.

LUM10
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I'm having the same problem. I can fix it by removing the ip "range" entry and replacing it with single explicit entries, but within 30 minutes or so, the range entry re-appears on it's own! I've made sure "home networking" is NOT being used.. just a "work network". Can anybody at McAffee offer an explanation as to where the range entry is coming from?

urganda
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

See different solutions discused here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/147112#147112

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community