cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 151 of 192

Re: Firewall blocking Youtube video stream.

thecreator,

What claims do you have to support disabling all of our software? Please research McAfee Global Threat Intelligence before making such claims and misleading customers who may trust advice given here.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/threat-intelligence.aspx

http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/technology/global-threat-intelligence-technology.aspx

You really can't compare 2000 to 2012. In early 2000's we had something like <200,000 detections in our signature set. If you follow this blog, you would learn that in the 3rd quarter of 2011, we got 5 million new samples (approximately 55,000 samples per day, 2,300 per hour, or 38 per minute).

Why would an enterprise node have parental controls? Why would a consumer want such a technical user interface? There are many reasons to have different business units. I am pretty sure about every reputable security company does the same thing.

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 152 of 192

Thanks for all the system information everyone posted. I was filling in for the FW and SiteAdvisor experts while they were out. They will be taking over this thread from this post onwards.

From what I understand is we have fixed the code and it will be included in our next release of the core firewall code. Apparently this is partly hardware (driver) related so only some system experience the problem. We don't need anymore system information.The workaround is to install SiteAdvisor first, then install the McAfee suite. At this point FW will turn off NetGaurd because it is already enabled in SiteAdvisor. If it still doesn't work, you should manually diasble NetGaurd in the frewall settings. Even though you are disabling it in the FW, it is still enable in SiteAdvisor.

Regards,

sijil
Contributor
Message 153 of 192

Please disable Netguard from firewall settings. If issue persits even after disabling Netguard, please contact McAfee Technical Support.

What is Netguard

This new function uses McAfee's TrustedSource service to maintain a repository of known good and known bad domain names and IP addresses.  If you try to go to a known bad website or address, Net Guard will protect you by blocking the connection.

njo
Contributor
Message 154 of 192

dougr_t3_support wrote:

From what I understand is we have fixed the code and it will be included in our next release of the core firewall code. Apparently this is partly hardware (driver) related so only some system experience the problem.

Could you please let me know when the next firewall code will be released. With the Netguard workaround I don't really want to do a manual re-install so I would rather wait for the update to be received.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 155 of 192

Hello njo,

We don't have a definitive release date for the Net Guard fix at this time. As Doug mentioned above Dev has created a solution. This solution has been passed from Dev to QA. QA must pass the fix before it can be released. Once passed by QA the fix needs to be readied for release and finally deployed.

Based on our current progress this fix should be included within the next update release. At this time I expect the current cycle to be deployed late Q1. Again this time period is an estimate only and may move in or out.

I will keep you posted on our progress of the patch through development and refine the release date as I learn more.

njo
Contributor
Message 156 of 192

OK - so things just got much worse. 

Yesterday my PC downloaded the latest update to McAfee and now Youtube videos pause even with Net Guard turned off. How could this happen? The developers and support guys know about this issue and have just made it worse.

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me?

It looks like I now need to figure out a way of running my machine without the McAfee firewall. This really is not what I expect from a mainstream software provider.

EDITTED -

It now seems that it is not quite as bad as I firt thought. I turned Net Guard on and turned it off again and now I'm back to being able to watch YouTube videos without them freezing. But, the first time after restarting my machine definitely did not work.

Message was edited by: njo on 20/01/12 02:49:45 CST
moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 157 of 192

No difference whatsoever on my machines (i.e. still have to have Netguard off).

On a different note though, the sortcut icon still keeps returning

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 158 of 192

The icon issue should be taken care of very soon, see Issue Update here for timeline and reasons:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 159 of 192

Thanks for that Peter ... I'm still on 11.0.649 so guess I'll wait a while

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 160 of 192

You're welcome.  Getting back to the YouTube video issue.....I've noticed I have a rather jerky experience watching YT vids although I said earlier I didn't.  That was when my Grid Computing (Seti@home, LHC@home etc. etc.) wasn't running.  When it's on and using GPU as well as CPU cycles, then ANY video becomes hit and miss.

I'm wondering if any other people have software that's eating up resources in the background and have forgotten about it because, like the above, it's running silently in the background.   I'm not saying that's the case for everyone, it's just a thought.  In my case there is no difference with Netguard being on or off, same with SiteAdvisor.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/01/12 9:54:58 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community