Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maccyjam
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Firewall Throttling Up/Download Speeds

Hey,

Recently I've been experiencing issues with my download and upload speeds being rather slow. After trying everything from a new ethernet cable to trying a different computer, I finally found that the issue lies with McAfee's firewall.

After disabling it, my speeds reverted back to normal, however I don't want to keep my firewall disabled for obvious reasons. I've tried looking through the firewall settings but can't find anything that may cause it. Originally with the firewall my speeds were okay, so this is quite random.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Firewall Throttling Up/Download Speeds

I've never heard of that happening before.  Go into Firewall settings and make sure that browsers are all given full access.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connnections for Programs

Hint: Click the word Program at top of the list to arrange them alphabetically

Go down the list and make sure Internet Explorer and any other browsers you use are all given full access

Click Edit to change them if necessary and Save any changes.

I'm assuming that you have no other security software installed that could compete with McAfee and that you haven't forced Windows Firewall to remain on alongside McAfee as that could spell trouble.

Other than that I would contact Technical Support directly.  It's free via phone or online chat and available through Useful Links at the top of this page.

They are best equipped to troubleshoot these things.

The only time I've heard reference to Internet Throttling is in regards to the doubtful practices of certain Internet Service Providers restricting trafiic at peak periods especially, mine included unfortunately.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/09/12 6:58:30 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community