Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMM
Former Member
Message 31 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee spam

Jump to solution

A fortnight ago I reported an issue to Mozilla Messaging support ... It was related to my inability to remove one empty toolbar from Thunderbird 3.0.2 (now on 3.0.4) over Windows Vista SP2.

TB 3.0.2 tunning problems - 1.png

I work on a 12.1 inch laptop (this means  removing anything you don ́t use from the screen) and after searching here and there,  trying removing McAfee icon from Thunderbird toolbar, turning off the icon from  McAfee setup (didn´t work) ... moving McAfee icon to another toolbar (beside all other icons) ... but an empty bar  remained wasting space of my tiny screen. In the same laptop I can dual boot also  to Ubuntu (no McAfee instalation) and TB 3.0.3 toolbar problem has never  existed. From Mozilla Messaging, they report that McAfee is developing a patch  for this ...  ... and today I have read this thread. I mean ... it seams the problem comes from McAfee, I assume you  are very busy but ...  Could you please, at least, give us an ESTIMATION date for the roll out of the patch you´re  working on ?

Thank you very much.

mcgiga
Former Member
Message 32 of 109

Jump to solution

Have the same problem loudo reported above

my system: XP SP3, TB 3.0.4

It seems to be a Problem of the missing "GetSelectedMessages"-Method of TB used by mcafee.

br

mcgiga

Nachricht geändert durch mcgiga on 23.04.10 12:53:26 CDT

Nachricht geändert durch mcgiga on 23.04.10 12:53:48 CDT
GWE
Former Member
Message 33 of 109

Jump to solution

You can get rid of the icon by right clicking on the TB toolbar and selecting customize.  A pallette will come up with all the available icons you can put on the tool bar.  You can also drag any off the tool bar you do not want.  This worked for me.  Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: GWE on 4/23/10 9:49:58 AM CDT
DMM
Former Member
Message 34 of 109

Jump to solution

That was the first thing I tried two months ago ... and of course it didn´t work. Finally, around 12 days ago ... I was contacted by McAfee Tech Support. I was suggested to uninstall the Thunderbird plug-in ( as a workaround ) ... that´s what I did ... and it worked. Unfortunately after this week´s big update the problem has come back ... and two new issues (one of them important) have come up. Things are getting worse ... I am very disappointed ... actually I don´t even feel like to start sending emails ... detailing things ... attaching screenshots ... wait a couple of weeks before receiving an answer ... ... things are getting worse ...

Gong67
Former Member
Message 35 of 109

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with McAfee AntiSpam 10.15 and Tbird 3.x as dengrove. That is, the antispam tool bar is present but  does not work manually (can't tag messages as SPAM or untag old SPAM messages), and is  not operating automatically so no new messages are being tagged as SPAM.  I have 3 email accounts in Tbird and it now doesn't work with any of them whereas it used to work with  all 3 with Tbird 2.x.

I remind McAfee that their  Australian website states  in the system requirements that  AntiSpam works with all Thunderbird versions 1.5 and later. In Australia it is  an offence under the Trade Practices Act to  advertise a product by  making false claims. I lodged a support issue with McAfee on this early  in 2010 and was eventually told that a release of AntiSpam would be coming some time  in the future but that AntiSpam does not currently support TBird3. I therefore request McAfee to state  this clearly on their website otherwise I will be lodging a formal complaint with the ACCC.

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 36 of 109

Jump to solution
  1. Click the Mark as Spam button to add the [SPAM] tag, which moves the email to McAfee AntiSpam folder.
  2. Click the Mark as Not Spam button to remove the [SPAM] tag, which moves the email to the Inbox.

Both actions will send a copy of the affected email to McAfee for evaluation. If the email is a valid spam, McAfee will include it in the next SpamKiller / AntiSpam update. To change the default setting that sends these messages to McAfee, click Web and EMail Protection, Anti-Spam, Email Processing and select options under Notify McAfee when you.

dengrove
Former Member
Message 37 of 109

Jump to solution

To be honest, I've just become so fed up with McAfee's lack of decent customer support that I'm going to ride out my subscription and switch. There are other products on the market that will do the job and maybe have better customer support.  When I complained about all of the time spent on the phone and not getting any results and how the tool bar either disappears or doesn't work, there was no reasonable answer. When I complained that I was upset that it hadn't worked properly for months and I had wasted time and received an auto renewal notice, I received an email stating that they would take me off auto renewal with no mention of other problems. So I'm done. I'll use it while it's installed, won't renew and then will be done with the hassles.

Gong67
Former Member
Message 38 of 109

Jump to solution

Thanks kumaravel but you have described exactly what does not now work with Tbird3.x in each case, the Mark as Spam does nothing and the Mark as not Spam does not remove the SPAM header from old emails which were correctly marked when I was using Tbird 2.x. I used them successfully as you describe when I had Tbird2.x.

loudo
Contributor
Message 39 of 109

Jump to solution

I can't believe this has been going on for nearly 6 months and nothing has been corrected yet.

ispalten
Former Member
Message 40 of 109

Jump to solution

What I can't believe was the BS I got MONTHS ago that this wasn't known, hours of phone calls and remote access to my system, and NEVER any follow-up or fix!!!

Check some of my threads,

http://community.mcafee.com/message/112529#112529

http://community.mcafee.com/message/110991#110991

That last one STILL is an on-going problem and I can't beleive others don't have that problem?

The report I sent in :

----------------

-     Service Request #: 442881313
-     Created Date: 01/21/2010 11:05:08
-     Description: W7 64 bit, McAfee Anti-Spam not working. E-mail client is Thunderbird latest version. Nothing goes to it and the WebMail Filter is REMOVING e-mail from my Road Runner POP3 server and Im losing IMPORTANT messages.

---------------

I stupidly bought this machine with a 3 year license... My wife had Norton ISS 2010 and NO PROBLEMS. It is a 3 user license and I'm very tempted to use one of those licenses. I just fear getting McAfee off this system clean and complete isn't an easy task. That and the fact Norton isn't always well behaved either.

Irv S.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community