cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cappysw10
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Outlook 2007 Crashes

This is more an fyi in case you get the same troubles. Running Windows 7 x64, I had no troubles with Outlook until a recent update. Outlook would stop responding on occasion. The only way I could get this not to happen was to remove the McAfee Add In. Once that was removed, I had no more crashes. YMMV

11 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: Outlook 2007 Crashes

cappysw10 wrote:

This is more an fyi in case you get the same troubles. Running Windows 7 x64, I had no troubles with Outlook until a recent update. Outlook would stop responding on occasion. The only way I could get this not to happen was to remove the McAfee Add In. Once that was removed, I had no more crashes. YMMV

Hi cappysw10,

Could you please let us know if the update was for your Outlook or McAfee, Also, let us know some of the following details like;

Version of McAfee programs (Click Navigation - Click on About)

Do we have any unused Add in under the Add-In Manager.

Do we have any other spam blocking utility installed ?

Thread moved to Antispam section

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

thampson
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

I recently had the exact same problem - running Windows XP (32Bit) with SP3 and Outlook 2007 connected to Charter (pop3) and also using hotmail connector.

Outlook crashed constantly starting about a week or so ago when receiving email - until I changed McAfee to NOT scan email attachments, and rebooted.

Here was the error message:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6548.5000, stamp 4cafbeb3, faulting module olmapi32.dll, version 12.0.6548.5000, stamp 4cafbbf7, debug? 0, fault address 0x00003276.

Removing McAfee email scanning fixed it and sped up the time it takes to download email 500% easy.

No crashes since.

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 12

This is starnge to hear, as no changes were done for Outlook 2007 plug-in itself in the last update, only some shared components were altered.

Could you please explain how did you disable the plug-in, and do you still have Anti-Spam toolbar in Outlook 2007 ?

Thank you.

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 12

It feels like you're talking about disabling an option from Real-Time Sacnning settings page.

Do you have Anti-Spam filtering working for you, and toolbar ?

Thanks.

thampson
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

I am not using the Anti-Spam toolbar. I only use AntiVirus Plus and have not installed anti-spam. I do have the Microsoft Hotmail Connector installed in Outlook, plus I have a charter pop3 account in same Outlook profile. I went into McAfee Security Center - Virus and Spyware Protection - Real Time Scanning - Scan Settings - then I Unchecked Email Attachments. It did not seem to help until after I rebooted. Then the Outlook 2007 issue (so far) went away and email is now downloaded (received) 500% quicker than before. It used to seem to hang while receiving email prior to unchecking that. Prior to that I had to increase my Outlook Pop3 Server Timeout due to the slow response just to get mail downloaded - and it would frequently crash during that time. So far it seems good without Email Attachments checked (2 days plus or so and no crash yet). I am not sure what could have been updated if anything (Windows update, McAfee update - who knows...) I have auto-updates on. Crash was first seen in Event Viewer in June of 2010 once - but since June, it only happened about once per month if that much until November. Then around November 24th it started happeneing repeatedly frequently. I even created a new Outlook profile, sacnned PST and OST files, and tried numerous Outlook switches with no success until I unchecked the Email Attachments in McAfee - so far it has not hung or crashed and seems fixed. I will post again if it crashes or hangs again, but it appears to be fixed.

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for such informative reply. I will convey your message to Virus Scan team so they would take care of it.

Kellie
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

It is a big bug in the lastest update from Mcafee.  I am a programmer and have my debug program enabled.  When I launch Outlook 2010 (and also happens with Outlook 2007 on a different computer), on error, I can capture the error. I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with a Mcafee person logged into my computer.  He was unable to resolve it, but did say he would escalate it.  I also tried an full uninstall / reinstall to humor him but the problem still occurs.

Microsoft Visual Studio reports: "Microsoft jscript runtime error: 'validlink_google' is undefined."

Entering into the break mode with MVS, the following code line is highlited:

var

SEValidLinks = [null, validlink_google, validlink_yahoo, validlink_msn, validlink_aol, validlink_ask,validlink_uol, validlink_goo, validlink_myway, validlink_baidu, validlink_live, validlink_terra, validlink_comcast, validlink_web, validlink_biglobe, validlink_sonet, validlink_cox, validlink_gmx, validlink_excite, validlink_sky, validlink_nate, validlink_naver, validlink_nifty, validlink_bing];

The script where this error and line appears is the following:

/*-----------------------------------------------------

Copyright (c) 2009 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

-----------------------------------------------------*/

var

debuglevel = 0;

var

gPageContextDoc = null;

var

gHandlerCallback = null;

function

toHtmlEntities(str)

{

var htmlEntityStr = "";

if (typeof(str) == "string")

{

for (var c = 0; c < str.length; c++){

htmlEntityStr +=

"&#" + str.charCodeAt(c);

}

}

return htmlEntityStr

}

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

This issue is caused by Site Advisor script, I forwarded your message to SA team, they will investigate.

Sorry for inconvenience.

lindnergt
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Is there a solution to this problem?  I've been fighting these Outlook hangs for about a week now and have just recently focused on my SonicWALL Enforced Client Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware by McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community