cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geraldgerald
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

'Files missing on Windows 7 computers'

Last night all my photos went missing after my McAfee program 'removed a trojan'. I was unaware that I even had a subscription to McAfee. Anyway, I uninstalled McAfee thinking it was the reason that my photos were not visible(my pictures folder appears empty, all new saved photos DO NOT appear in the folder, where they go, I don't know).

After doing some googling I found other people who've had this problem, and this McAfee document explaining the problem. Do I need to reinstall, or purchase McAfee again to get my pictures back?

I am a dead man if I don't retrieve these pictures. I have work related photos in there, my wife has a ton of family photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101228

Files missing on Windows 7 computers

Environment

Affected Suites:
Total Protection 2011
Internet Security Suite 2011
AntiVirus Plus 2011

Affected Products:
VirusScan

Affected Operating Systems:
Windows 7

NOTE: If you are unsure what version of the McAfee Security software you have installed, please see article TS101107.

Problem

Windows 7 contains a new feature concept called the Library, which groups similar types of documents and media from several physical folders into one virtual Library.

When a new user is created, during or after the computer setup, the user’s unique Library is created with four default Libraries:
  • Documents
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Pictures
Functions in the 2011 McAfee VirusScan could cause the files inside these four default Libraries to become hidden, making it difficult to find them in the Windows Explorer after you edit and save them. The files do exist, but they have a ‘hidden’ attribute that prevents them from being displayed when Windows Explorer is using its default Folder Options settings.

Solution

McAfee will release an update to VirusScan that will change the way these file attributes are set and eliminate this issue.

Workaround

Until the planned update is released, use the following procedure to work around this issue.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, ensure that you create a backup and that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, see the following Microsoft KnowledgeBase article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/.

1. Save the files listed below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McTMP2LOG.bat

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McAttrib-H.cmd
  2. Right-click McTMP2LOG.bat and select Run as Administrator.
  3. After the script completes, double-click the M Icon.
  4. Click Navigation in the top, right corner.
  5. Select General Settings and Alerts.
  6. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  7. Select the Use Access Protection option.
  8. Click Apply.
  9. Close SecurityCenter.
  10. Right-click McAttrib-H.cmd and select Run as Administrator.
  11. After the script completes, restart your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Replies
geraldgerald
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: 'Files missing on Windows 7 computers'

I'd like to add that the 'My Pictures' folder isn't visible at all. It says 'My Pictures(Empty)'.  Also when I save new pictures I have no idea where they're being saved to.

I went through Control Panel/Appearance and Personalization/Folder Options and changed the settings to show hidden files but my pictures have not returned to being visible.

What i'd really like to know is that my pictures are retrievable, and how to go about doing just that.

I uninstalled McAfee(I don't even think I had a subscription, I can't remember buying one with this computer).

I will re downlaod and purchase a new subscription if that's what it takes to fix this problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

If you had McAfee installed then it must be linked to an online account for which you which you should know the registered email address and password in order to reinstall the software.

The account page is here:  https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx

If you can't find the login details then click the 'Forgot.....' links or call Customer Service, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/581-libraries-restore-default.html for some help with hidden libraries.

That McAfee FAQ is not easy to implement as those downloads don't load as they should so I suggest you call Technical Support - it's now a free phone call and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

But this would have to be done after you've reinstalled McAfee.

I trust that this is Windows 7 SP1 and updated?

geraldgerald
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with automatic updates turned on so i'm assuming it's up to date.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase a new subscription under the assumption that this fixable(right...).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

OK, good luck.  If you right-click Computer on your desktop or in the Start menu znd select Properties...that will tell you if it is SP1.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/12/11 2:41:58 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community