Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_123187
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Pianocheetah.com still queued for testing

I'm in the same boat.  My site is http://PianoCheetah.com

Submitted 11/5.

I would think you guys would go a little faster considering ANY site you guys don't know about gets ALL their .EXEs marked as containing a virus.

I'm NOT very happy about that.

12 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: queued for testing..... Anyone know how long it takes ?

@stephen.hazel :

Edit : This has been branched from a similar thread. You've also posted twice about this, so the other thread will be locked.

Either a site submitted for testing a week ago will still be in the testing queue, or testing will be only partially done. That's just how it is. As for that assertion about all untested sites having their downloads flagged as malicious, that's interesting. Perhaps you could provide some evidence for that assertion? I'm sure the SiteAdvisor team would be willing to discuss that matter with you. Better bring a lawyer.

fwiw, SiteAdvisor currently has nothing to say about your site. It is completely unknown to TrustedSource and also unknown to Norton SafeWeb, WOT, BrowserDefender and Trend Micro. Sucuri found it though and says it's clean, so you really don't need to worry too much about the testing outcome.

I downloaded the setup file and scanned it with McAfee, which says it's okay. However, when I uploaded it to VirusTotal it was detected as a Trojan by Avast and F_Secure, and flagged as suspicious by Symantec. Perhaps it's those companies you ought to be talking to, not McAfee.

See the VirusTotal analysis HERE.

pianocheetah download.JPG

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/11/12 16:28:10 GMT
user_123187
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

thank you for your detailed analysis.

I really appreciate that.

The reason I went ballistic is since SiteAdvisor's rating was indeed a problem in the past for me.

(With my old site - http://PianoCheater.com )

My apologies for that.

I'll go hunt down the OTHER virus detection companies' false positives, now...

Again, my apologies, but as a single developer,

false positives are a REAL IMPORTANT PROBLEM for me.

And they should be the virus detection companies' fault, not mine.

It's frustrating.

Also, I'll close this question as answered when it is answered.

I still get:

"This site has been queued for testing.  Please come back soon for automated results."

...when I put in my site -  http://PianoCheetah.com

Also, you've not answered my original question in the other (now locked) thread:

How many days, on average, IS it between site submit and test results complete?

Thank you.

....Steve

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 13

The average completion time can be as long as 42 days and as short as 14-21 days, from what I know of these things. It all depends on how complex the site is, and what the current testing load happens to be. The big delay is in waiting for results from the email spam tests, if applicable. Your site, if it's fairly straightforward, won't take too long. Bear in mind that SiteAdvisor is having to test anything up to a couple of hundred thousand new sites a day, in addition to re-testing existing sites - hence the note about testing load. There are 100,000 new WordPress sites alone created every day.

http://www.ask.com/answers/1676831/on-average-how-many-new-websites-are-launched-per-day-worldwide-d...

http://www.worldwidewebsize.com/

http://mashable.com/2011/06/19/how-many-websites

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_new_websites_are_created_each_day

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/11/12 17:29:49 GMT
user_123187
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Thank you again.  It's VERY helpful to know the amount of time it takes.

My site mostly lists a bunch of docs for my program.  (Videos, and html docs).

I have my personal email available on the site, but don't have an email list, etc.

So hopefully my site ends up on the shorter side as far as number of days...

I've submitted the false positives to the other virus detection companies.

thanks again,

...Steve

user_123187
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Re: Pianocheetah.com still queued for testing

It's been 14 days since PianoCheetah.com was submitted.

Can somebody from McAfee please confirm that my site is IN the queue and moving, please?

I've heard that other sites had problems when the author commented on the site.

And I've done that...

thanks.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 13

My, you are impatient.

".. as short as 14-21 days"

And we've only got to Day 14.

In IE I see a Green McAfee siteAdvisor icon when I go to your site. The SiteAdvisor page still show the grey questionmark and says "Queued for testing". I've groused before now that the system needs a more graduated response so siteowners can see progress, but don't expect a major update to the system on my say-so, at least not any century soon.

What that Green/Grey combination means is that testing is under way, going fine, no problems (Green) but isn't over yet (Grey). Only experience lets me say that, it's not documented.

I've heard that other sites had problems when the author commented on the site.

None that I know of. And, boy, have we had comments from some site owners about their sites. One guy who shall remain forever nameless but is now infamous in the annals of McAfee Mod History went totally ballistic about his site. It didn't get marked down because of that. If a site has problems they're not caused by owner/reviewer arguments. Checking is fully automated. Author comments, fortunately for all, are not.

user_123187
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

I thank ya for your response.  And I know you're just the messenger, here.

But some guys at McAfee should be shot.

I have no proof of this, but I'm FAIRLY convinced that a LOT of other sites

use the reputation score that siteadvisor provides.  I know my work's website firewall does because

as soon as it was green on siteadvisor (my previous site), I could see it at work.

And I'm surprised that there isn't a MUCH bigger backlash from small site owners than there is.

We live and die by what's on that dang site.  And if it's "FLAGGED RED", that's a very bad thing and

we would PREFER some way to remedy that than waiting for a FREAKIN MONTH.

I consider going totally ballistic for a 3 week wait during which customers FLEE your site as rather,

umm,

understandable.

> None that I know of.

Hmmm, wasn't it you who wrote in THIS thread: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/49434?start=0&tstart=0

> ... I don't know what happens if you re-submit a site for testing during the extended testing period :

> I have a suspicion you reset the counters and it starts all over again.

> In your case, I hope not.

I'm pretty pissed that siteadvisor is god, i have a 3 week wait, and there's nothing i can see

about an estimated completion date or even any progress at all.

I wonder if the association of shareware professionals can do anything about this...

we'll see...

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Your site isn't Red ("Dangerous") it's Grey ("Not Yet Tested") - and in searches and on the site itself it's Green ("Safe").

Comments : you can say whatever you like here in the forum as long it's reasonable. We have disagreements and even arguments here, and it doesn't affect a site's rating. Nor do site reviews on the SiteAdvisor pages. And what you say doesn't slow down or speed up the testing process. What I said was, to paraphrase, "I think maybe re-submitting a site while it's undergoing testing starts the testing process over again from stage 1". Which would be logical, if that were allowed.

And no, there's no status bar showing you how far testing has got. I keep requesting something like that but the developers have other things to do so it won't happen.

All you can do is wait : testing is in progress. No problems found.

And now, if you don't mind, I've got some other sites to look at. Their owners deserve some attention too ...

Message was edited by: Hayton on 20/11/12 20:45:00 GMT
user_123187
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

well, it's been from 11/5 to 12/6...  no change...

Does anybody from Mcafee ever read this forum at all ??

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community