Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparc4me
Contributor
Message 1 of 95

Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

The last post to this locked thread  the Mod. states the fix worked - but it doesn't.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/21606?start=430&tstart=0

I followed the instructions on the link in the previous post to that thread-

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361

to Paraphrase it states (under workaround) that you can log-in to 'My Account'

through the Aussie site to download the newly rolled out (fixed/patched) install.

I did just that and was left having to manually restore all my settings throughout AV Plus and now have security center version 11.0.654.

As I said this did not fix the reappearing desktop icon.

I've tried several thing such as soft boot; cold boot; unchecking 'Access Protection' than deleting the icon.

Nothing I've tried keeps the icon from reappearing - I've gotta say, after all the hullaballoo I would have thought they'd made certain the fix worked before release.

This is just sad. It's fairly obvious that a once fine company is going down the tubes and I think it's time for me to join the rest of the lemmings in getting off the sinking ship.

I tried online chat and the rep kept telling me that the roll-out to aussie didn't happen today.

I told him in as many ways as possible that I already have the new patch that is claimed to fix the problem.

He kept telling me the fix will arrive next week (the 17th). I told him I followed the instructions to get the new patch now including pointing him to the link I listed above.

. And it went 'round like that for a paragraph - the person really seemed cluless. At the end they stated "this sounds like a rather complicated issue" and "I'd like to elevate this to a tier 2 rep.

The right hand doesn't have a clue what the left hand is doing or what?

This may not be the same cause but it is the same symptom that has been plaguing users of Mcafee for years!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 13 of 95

Re: Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

If you have Security Center 11.0.654 and the desktop icon wont go away....

Check the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\MSC\Shortcuts

Let me know the value of  MSC_ShowDesktopIcon

I found one customer today was missing this registry key which is important.

iconkey.jpg

Thanks,

View solution in original post

94 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 95

Jump to solution

Ok I just rechecked the wife's PC she just booted it (cold) and no icon except it is still in the recycle bin. Yes Sc is 11.0.654

Fix has been running in the 2012 beta for 2 weeks and no failure will point a high level tech your way asap.

Go to about what is the language is it En-Au This was a full uninstall reinstall or update only?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/01/12 7:39:09 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/01/12 7:39:51 PM
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 3 of 95

Jump to solution

Please private message me the email address you use to Log into MyAccount. Also include the machine name if you know it. I will look it up on the backend.

Thanks,

sparc4me
Contributor
Message 4 of 95

Jump to solution

Yes the language in 'About' shows en-au.

Yes, complete uninstall - reinstall.

According to what I read that was the only way to get the patched 11.0.654 security center in advance of the US roll out next week (17th)

The alternative was/is waiting 'til the 17th for the US roll-out when I would have been able to (allegedly)

just use the manual update rather than having to uninstall / re-install as is described in the same Doc

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361 pointing the user to the Aussie site to get the release in advance of the US roll out.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 95

Jump to solution

Private message  Doug as mentioned above he will check your account.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/01/12 7:28:37 PM
vinl
Former Member
Message 6 of 95

Jump to solution

Hi all,

It is the same with me, I have followed the old discussion thread on this problem (just never posted) until the stated v 11.0.654 install came out. Did a complete re-install from the site through MyAccount last night, and the icon reappeared today.

It seems to have stayed deleted immediately after re-install, but came back today(maybe it was after update again?)

I am from Australia so the AU version should be the correct fit for me, if that helps.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 95

Jump to solution

Is language En-au? this in "about"

Also what is the security centre version?

vinl
Former Member
Message 8 of 95

Jump to solution

Language: en-au

Security Center Version 11.0

Build 11.0.654

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 95

Jump to solution

The installer will place an icon on the desktop anyway when first installing but once deleted it shouldn't come back as you have the EN-AU version.   Perhaps the server wasn't updated when you installed.  Try uninstalling, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page and reboot and reinstall, making sure that the EN-AU download page is still the one you are using.

If in the uninstall you did previously you didn't run the tool remnants of the old software may have still been there which affected the behaviour or as I said maybe you tried it before the server was updated.

I just did this same thing this morning and the icon is well and truly history.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/01/12 9:27:07 EST AM
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 10 of 95

Jump to solution

If anyone is willing to do a remote session with me that would be helpful. I will make it worth your while.

Please verify the following:

1. Version 11.0.654 of Security Center.
  2. Can delete the icon and it comes back. You should be able to show me this happening.
  3. You can do a quick remote session today in one of these Pacific Time Zone timeframes (9:30am - 11am) or (2pm-5pm).

If you can do this send me a private message and I will call or email you with instructions to get started.

Thanks,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community