cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwn
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

scheduled scan freezes when scanning drive D, can only stop by ejecting disc!

Scheduled scan runs weekly without problem until it scans the D drive which usually contains a DVD. The scan is at 99% and will not cancel. The only way I can complete the scan is to eject the disc while the drive is on, which is certainly not recommended. This is a new problem and has only happened for the last two weeks. The first time, I ran Virtual Technician, which fixed a registry problem. The second time, no problem was found by VT.

15 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: scheduled scan freezes when scanning drive D, can only stop by ejecting disc!

Whenever your next scheduled scan is due to scan, could you please remove the disk from the D drive and see if the scan will complete without any issues?

This will help to learn more about this issue

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 16

Re: scheduled scan freezes when scanning drive D, can only stop by ejecting disc!

It is most likely having trouble unpacking something on that DVD - does it contain compressed files?

Have tou tried simply going to it in Windows Explorer > Computer > DVD drive, and right-clicking it then selecting 'Scan' ?    See if it scans it OK then.

The newest models of VirusScan remember what they have scanned and once done shouldn't have a problem with them afterwards, unless the material is corrupted somehow or maybe infected.

I'm not trying to be nosey but what kind of disk is this?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/11 8:35:34 EDT AM
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 16

Actually Peter mine does the same thing was going to mention it in our weekly call but I just removed the disk when not in use. I will query the techs on the Monday call. I think it is having unpacking issues.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

Interesting, OK bring it up on our Monday call.  jwn we'll get back to you.

jwn
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I will try to remember to remove the disc. It is an ordinary commercial movie. However, the scan does show the file where it freezes, and perhaps I should just write that down before stopping the scan. I have tried scanning the disc separately and there is no problem with that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 16

OK I've added this to our call agenda for Monday afternoon.  Can either of you tell me the size, type and name of the file?

I tried scanning just my DVD drive with a movie in there (Avatar) and it scanned OK.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/08/11 8:49:26 EDT AM
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 16

I will give it a run later on today Peter. The DVDs I have are always game dvds never movies ones..

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/08/11 6:57:44 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 16

I haven't any game DVD's to try so I'll rely on you guys.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/08/11 5:03:15 EDT PM
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 16

OK confirmed mine scanned fine went through F (dvd) drive scanning after C, D and E drives. DVD scanned slowkly but finished at 2:30 pm. It was at 99% level and then went back to sacn some E drive files. $5 Minutes later still at 99% and scanning E dive BUT dvd drive working its butt off being scanned acessed big time. As soon as I ejected disk scan completed. Seems VS not let go of the DVD drive and files are still being accessed. was this what happened for the OP?

Seems identical correct and a bug as far as I see.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community