cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iWizardPro
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

McSvcHost.exe Crashes at Random

I am new to the McAfee community and I noticed that the community is reporting issues with McSvHost.exe crahing when shutting down. But, I am having an issue with McSvHost.exe crashing while my machine is still running. Suddenly, the McSvHost.exe would crash and Windows would tell me the application crashed and has been closed. My machine has a new hard disk and a fresh installation of Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The errors started appearing the day I installed McAfee off of the web download on my account on 7/17/2010. It has occured a total of 6 times already. Each time, it would crash and would relaunch itself. All the windows updates have been installed and applied. And McAfee is 100% up to date (this was checked approx. 3-4 times).

I was able to obtain the following crash data from my machine. Everything listed there is the same everytime except the EventTime and UploadTime.

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=129244186166390000 (Changes Expected)
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=129244186348490000 (Changes Expected)
Response.BucketId=18019656
Response.BucketTable=4
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=McSvHost.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=1.5.109.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=4b97baf1
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=StackHash_b345
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=6.0.6001.18000
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=4791adec
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000374
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=00000000000a6e97
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=b345
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=11fe4078fbdb7b3d2bdfdc587e0aeba8
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=8f75
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=ea2f6e21c8f12f0fa0b717a266053d95
UI[2]=C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
UI[3]=McAfee Service Host has stopped working
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
UI[5]=Check online for a solution (recommended)
UI[6]=Check for a solution later (recommended)
UI[7]=Close
UI[8]=McAfee Service Host stopped working and was closed
UI[9]=A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.
UI[10]=&Close
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
FriendlyEventName=Stopped working
ConsentKey=APPCRASH
AppName=McAfee Service Host
AppPath=C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe

Is there any known issue of McSvHost.exe crashing while the machine is still up and running? And is there a fix by any chance or a temporary workaround? I had spoke to a support agent, but he just disabled my "Access Protection" which is supposed to protect crucial McAfee files; this solution seems very unsafe but working for a total of 15 minutes so far.

As a final note, I do not recommend trying to ask the online chat support agents for help with this. I spent 2 hours and 30 minutes just to get Access Protection disabled using a checkbox on the McAfee control panel. I am not even sure if it is safe to have access protection disabled.

10 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Re: McSvcHost.exe Crashes at Random

Hello there,

Welcome to the McAfee community, sorry for your frustration caused due to the error.Please provide us with certain information so that we could help you with this case as its something new reported.

Is the computer uptodate with widows updates?
Do we have any network printer/scanner connected to the computer ?
May I know what is the McAfee product that we have installed ? (antivirus plus/total protection)
Also provide a screen shot of the error from McSvhost.exe

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

iWizardPro
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

The computer is upto date with the Windows Update and also McAfee updates. There is one network printer that is conneceted to the machine. But, the network printer is offline and is not connected. I have McAfee Total Protection 2010.  Sadly, there is no available screen shot to show because the window is always just a standard Microsoft Windows dialog. Like the one here: http://www.goodexperience.com/broken/images/we_1.jpg The crash data that I provided was extracted from a Windows Error Reporting file that was generated by the machine during the crash.

Morton
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

I have the same problem.

Windows tells me that McAfee Service Host has stopped working and was closed.I have McAfee Total Protection installed (purchased July 2010) and my Windows Vista Home Premium is also up to date.

Hate to think I spent $97.47 for nothing.

The old McAfee worked fine.

McAfeeErrorWindow.jpg

recook
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Same problem here. I noticed the only post by McAfee was July 25, 2010, stating this was a new problem. That's about the general time that it started on mine.... only at start up for me. And now I have to physically go in and turn on my Firewall everytime I reboot. Is there a fix or what?

swaabbott
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Hi iwizard

I have been using mcafee for over 3 yrs now (with no problems) about a week ago I installed "Zumodrive" a free online 2gig storage service and I noticed the same message as yourself and sub poster about 30 min ago I disabled zomodrive restarted my laptop mcsvhost was working for 20mins I restarted zumodrive and instantly recieved error!; thats mine solved (after i remove zumo) I dont know if you use this service or any other online storage if so it might be a good place to start, good luck and dont give up on mcafee as i said ive hade 3 yrs + quality cover

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Hello swaabbott,

Thanks for taking your time and letting us know the solution that worked for you. Much appreciated .

iwizardpro,

Please let us know if we are still facing the issue with McAfee ,

Regards,

Dinesh K

iWizardPro
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

no. The issue actually is even more frequent than before. It happens practically every day now.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Hi iwizardpro,

Could you please right click on M icon (at the system tray) , check for updates .
Then run McAfee virtual technician from here :
http://mvt.mcafee.com and post your session id here along your next post.

Along with the above make sure that you do not have any other security software installed in the machine .

Regards,

Dinesh K

marksleight
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I've been getting this problem too.

Mine occurs at every boot of my laptop; I get the problem as soon as the desktop finishes loading.  Standard windows dialog box telling me McAfee Service Host has stopped working, and do I want to tell Microsoft.  Been happening for about a week now, and I've been sending the information off to Microsoft each time.

Today I got fed up with it and after Googling the problem came accross this forum.  Read swaabbott's posting with interest, as about a week ago installed Zumo drive too - seems a bit of a coincidence.  I have a desktop computer too on which Zumo drive isn't installed, and don't have the problem on that machine.

Zumo installs a new drive in My Computer and I wonder if that's where the problem lies.  Have disabled Zumo from loading at startup, and will see whether that fixes the problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community