cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graffin75
Former Member
Message 1 of 1,143

McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Attention: The issue which caused this error message has been resolved. If you believe you are seeing this issue, or a similar problem, please start a new discussion thread and reference this thread if needed.

-------- Original Post --------

Running Windows XP SP3 - recently McAfee Total Protection was updated to the 2010 version and now everytime I shutdown my PC, I get a dialog box saying McSvHost.exe can't access a reference in memory (or something to that effect).

I click close or wait for a while and the PC shuts down.

While it doesn't *seem* to be causing any real problems, it's annoying having an error pop up everytime I shutdown.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

p.s. Where do you find the version numbers for Security Center/VirusScan/Firewall, etc. in the new version?

I like the new look UI, but seems some options/info are harder to find than before.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron (close notice) on 1/14/11 9:43:58 AM CST
1,142 Replies
BigJ
Former Member
Message 2 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Graffin75 wrote:

Running Windows XP SP3 - recently McAfee Total Protection was updated to the 2010 version and now everytime I shutdown my PC, I get a dialog box saying McSvHost.exe can't access a reference in memory (or something to that effect).

I click close or wait for a while and the PC shuts down.

While it doesn't *seem* to be causing any real problems, it's annoying having an error pop up everytime I shutdown.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

p.s. Where do you find the version numbers for Security Center/VirusScan/Firewall, etc. in the new version?

I like the new look UI, but seems some options/info are harder to find than before.

I also get that error message on shutdown on my windows xp home edition service pack 3 but I just let it close anyway without clicking on anything. To answer your other question click on navigation at top right under home then click on about on left side.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/16/10 1:06:59 AM CST
Graffin75
Former Member
Message 3 of 1,143

Cheers for the reply.

I was looking for a help/about bit... thanks for saving me the frustration of looking for it (it's so obvious... now).

The error message is a weird one. I have it happening on both my PC's. One has XP SP2 Pro, the other XP SP3 Pro.

It doesn't happen every single time though. If I shutdown/reboot, i'll get the error, then when I go to shutdown or reboot a second time, no error.

user_135799
Former Member
Message 4 of 1,143

Hi,

Here are the posible thing that we need to check

What is the internet connection you have ? (DSL/DialUp/Cable/Wireless/Satellite)

After checking that

for Windows Xp users go to START->run->cmd->(you will get a black window, there type the following) ping download.mcafee.com

and then click on enter you will get replies

if you get Reply from (4 times with the same IP address please mention the IP address)

for Windows VISTA users go to START->AllPrograms->Accessosries->(Right click on command prompt, left click on run as administrator)->(you will get a black window, there type the following) ping download.mcafee.com

and then click on enter you will get replies

if you get Reply from (4 times with the same IP address please mention the IP address)

Also open IE , on the top you will see options like File Edit View Favourites Tools Help

if you are not seeing the above screen, click the ALT key in the keyboard you will see the above

you will see File Edit View Favourites Tools Help

click on help

click on about internet explorer

you will see version

Cipher Strength
Product ID
Update Version

make a note of it and reply us

we will proceed with the issue further

WITH REGARDS

YOGA

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 5 of 1,143

Hi,

On my main PC...

WinXP Pro SP2

IE v7.0.5730.11

Cipher Strength: 128-bit

Product ID: 84876-600-8935532-23103

The only difference on my other PC is it has WinXP Pro SP3 on it.

I don't use IE anyway. I prefer Firefox, Opera, Chrome & Safari.

I'm on ADSL2+ using a Netcomm NB6Plus4W, but connected via Ethernet cable (only use wireless for my PS3 and laptop).

The ping results with the IP address of 202.6.158.176... and yes, it appears 4 times!

I didn't have this problem until McAfee Total Protection updated itself to the 2010 version.

No other hardware or software has been added/installed (apart from McAfee's updates, that is).

Edit: I should also note that I usually switch my router off before shutting down (not immediately before shutting down though).

Message was edited by: Graffin75 on 2/16/10 6:39:11 AM CST
user_135799
Former Member
Message 6 of 1,143

Hi,

click on start -> run-> msconfig->startup(Tab)

disable all the mcafee services and click on apply and click on OK

restart the computer, still if the issue occurs get back to us

try to open IE

if the error doesn't occur try enabling the startup services one by one

at one particular service if the issue occurs , disable that alone and enable everything else.

WITH REGARDS

YOGA

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 7 of 1,143

Mate, that's a lot of services to disable and seems somewhat pointless, considering the problem lies with the McSvHost.exe process/service.

If memory serves me correctly, McSvHost.exe wasn't there in the 2009 version of McAfee.

Does anyone from McAfee check these forums?... It seems that particular file/process/service is causing a lot of different problems for users.

gregpierce
Former Member
Message 8 of 1,143

I am getting this error also during shutdown. It's an "application error" saying "memory could not be written". I just installed Mcafee a couple days ago, it's the newest version. Doesn't seem like it happens every time, except lately it seems to.

Here's my about info:

securitycenter

Version 10.0

Build 10.0.569

lang en-us

update 2-14-2010

virusscan

version 14

build 14.0.306

update 2-16-2010

dat 5894

dat dt 2-16-2010

personalfirewall

version 11

build 11.0.378

2-14-2010

siteadvisor

ver 3

build 3.0.164

parental controls

v12.0

build 12.0.281

quickclean and shredder

v10.0

My laptop is a Dell e1505, with dell wireless 1390 wlan. Running XP SP3.  Also, not much 3rd party software installed, I stripped it pretty bare.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 9 of 1,143

I also see this problem exactly as described when using XP but not on a Vista machine (Home Premium SP2) sharing the same LAN and with the same settings in Security Center.

Connection to net is DSL

LAN is wired

XP Pro SP3

IE v 8.0.6001.18702, cipher 128, update 0

Pinging returns 4 x 213.123.84.16

Not keen to disable McAfee services because presumably I'll be left unprotected.

Regards

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 10 of 1,143

Add me to the list having same problem. Having to force computer shut down.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community