Who Me Too'd this topic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

PatrickM
Contributor II

Unable to open excel files on google drive (G-Drive)

About 10 business days ago, a McAfee technical support representative installed a new version of LiveSafe on my laptop (for reasons I'll skip here).   Afterwards, I was no longer able open Excel files on Google Drive.  I have not seen this specific problem reported elsewhere, which is surprising given I have a generic Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10.

Additional information follows:

1. can open excel files on local drive
  2. can open excel files on dropbox
  3. cannot open excel files on Google Drive. 
  4. Prior to the aforementioned re-install of McAfee, I had been accessing these same files for the past 12 months.  It's a corporate drive and is secure. 
  5. When I move an excel file from G-Drive to my local disk,
  6. I am currently getting around the problem by:
    1. Moving the excel file from G-drive to my local drive
    2. Turning off the Anti-Virus module within LiveSafe. 
  7. The error message I receive when attempting to open the files reads, "Excel (or Word) cannot open the file  because the file format or file extension is not valid."
  8. After receiving the error message, McAfee directs me to the following page: https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS102828&page=shell&shell=article-view 
  9. To REPEAT - My files are not corrupt nor a threat.  All I need to do is move them off of Google Drive and back on to my local drive.
  10. This same problem affects the following file types:
    1. PDF
    2. PPT
  11. This problem does not affect MS Word files

Remarkably, elsewhere on this forum (link below), another customer reported that they needed to turn off McAfee to download Execl files.  The problem is described slightly different than I've describe it above, but it's the same problem (same error message).  What makes me angry is that the customer came back after FOUR WEEKS and asked for an update.  The McAfee moderator (Bharanidharan ) never followed up on his inquiry.  

Link: https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/Total-Protection/Real-Time-Scanning-has-to-be-turned-off-in-order-to-do...

Previously Bharanidharan wrote, "This a known issue and our engineering team is working on a fix for this. We will update you as soon as we receive any information from them."

Please provide a fix to this near term, or I iwlll be uninstalling LiveSafe and looking for a refund.  My use case is extremely common (i.e. opening up excel files on Drive).  There's absolutely no excuse for this kind of bug existing for any length of time.  

Who Me Too'd this topic

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community