cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

TomL
Contributor

VShieldScanner high CPU on Mac Big Sur

I have McAfee Internet Protection for Mac installed.  I noticed that a VShieldScanner process is constantly going to 100% CPU and makes my Macbook Pro sound like a jet engine.  I have re-installed it multiple times and it ALWASY goes back to doing this.  I have disabled scheduled scan to eliminate that as the culprit.  I only have Real-Time Scanning enabled (as well as automatic updates).  I have the following settings for Real-Time Scanning:

Scan files while: Write

Maximum Scan Time (in Seconds): 10

Set to clear and quarantine any virus or spyware, then I have none of the "Also scan" options checked. That means it won't go into archives or scan Apple mail messages or Network volumes.

I have Excluded:

/Users/tpl/Library/Mail

/Volumes

/Users/tpl/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots

When VShieldScanner is at 100%, I ran a dtruss against that process and I see it is scanning every single file in /System/Volumes/Data/Users/tpl/Library/Mail/* .  Unless Mail.app is writing to every single one of the 7.8G of emails I have on my system, there is no reason the scanner should be looking at those files.  I just looked at a few of the ones I saw from dtruss and those files haven't been modified since 2019, so it should NOT have even been looked at. 

I would like to exclude those files from being scanned, but McAfee doesn't seem to be able to add the overlay filesystem (/System/Volumes/Data/) to the Exclude list or how to tell it to ONLY scan files that are being written.  How can I do that so my system isn't constantly scanning.  I would remove McAfee but my work requires that an anti-virus be installed to connect to our VPN.  Or of someone knows of a better AV solution that doesn't push CPU usage to 100% most of the time, I would be glad to check that out. 

Who Me Too'd this topic

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community