Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWL
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Unresovled threats (1) Real Protect-LS!96722f22c545

Running a full scan and the above came up for the file

C:\Program Files (x86)\common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12\VS Runtime\CMDDEF.DLL

My McAfee icon now is greyed out with a red dot.

I know this has happened before and it wasn't a virus and I can't remember how we sorted it.

2 Replies
AvinashP
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unresovled threats (1) Real Protect-LS!96722f22c545

Hi @JWL,

If you are sure that the detected file is not a virus on your device, please access the below article on how to exclude the file from the virus scan. 

How to exclude files from virus scans on Windows

Please follow the steps from the article and do update us the outcome.

If you need assistance, please get in touch with our support team by accessing the link below,

McAfee Support

Thanks,
Avinash.

White_Hat
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unresovled threats (1) Real Protect-LS!96722f22c545

We have had the exact same problem, 7 times, since May 29, 2022.

The first time I called their support, as the McAfee antivirus program advised. They said it was a false positive, and suggested I mark the file to "not" be scanned, if I'm sure it doesn't have a virus. Aside from not really knowing if it has a virus or not, if it gets a virus later on, McAfee won't find it. This is a sloppy (and dangerous) way to handle this problem with McAfee Anti-Virus.

Also, they suggested I update McAfee again, and run the scan again. I did this, and then it said there was no problem with the file. Every time since then this is what I did, and each time, McAfee says there is no problem when I scan it again.

McAfee, if you are reading this, please fix this problem with McAfee Anti-virus, so it works properly.

Also, McAfee Anti-virus started taking 50% longer to scan a few months ago, and is taking too long to do a full scan now - it's causing problems for us. Please optimize your code to run faster.

We switched to McAfee about 5 years ago, and we would really like to continue to use, and promote others to use, McAfee. However, if these problems persist, unfortunately will be forced to switch to one of your competitors (and stop promoting McAfee).

Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community