Re: Tracking Remover

Jump to solution

You are very welcome, AbuBakr.

Bogeyman
Contributor III
Message 22 of 34

Jump to solution

My mcafee only has edge and firefox the only 2 browsers I use? any other ideas?

rch
Contributor
Message 23 of 34

Jump to solution

Hi,

After all the research I've done over the past couple of days I'm about to give up on McAfee. Rather than something of significant value the "Tracker Remover" function is nothing much more than a gimmick for McAfee to distinguish itself from other vendors such as Norton. Based upon numerous online recommendations I will likely switch to a combination of Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes - plus, adblock to cut down on the volume of popup ads.

rch

Wrest
Contributor II
Message 24 of 34

Jump to solution

Hi Bogeyman

I can only guess here because it appears you have a different version of McAfee than mine.

First, REMEMBER YOUR SETTINGS OR WRITE THEM DOWN BEFORE YOU CHANGE THEM. If the new changes don’t work, you can change them back to your original settings.

If your McAfee only has Microsoft edge and Firefox and you actually use them both, I might try changing the cookie, cache, settings one at a time.

If you only use one browser and never the other, I would deselect the browser I don’t use.

I have no idea whether either of these two options will work. Let us know one way or the other. Maybe one of us will get lucky and find a solution to this one too.

bean23
Contributor II
Message 25 of 34

Jump to solution

McAfee Total Protection and Tech Support have become a big disappointment. I have worked with 4 techs on two different occasions to get these problems solved.

• Tracker Remover gets stuck on Internet Explorer. It just spins for all eternity. Therefore, I can’t remove trackers from my system.
  • Security History shows absolutely no information after I run a scan; no date, no time, no # files scanned, or type of scan run. Now if I look in Security Report, I see the date a scan was run, but no time, no type of scan run.
  • My Tracker Remover settings keep changing without my direction or knowledge. Boxes are being un-checked.
  • I get popups several times a day telling me that a scan has been run and my computer is safe.

The techs can’t tell me what the problem is nor can they fix it. Regarding Security History, one tech told me this is known problem and I just have to wait to they get it fixed. Meantime use Security Report. The techs have uninstalled and then reinstalled my McAfee Total Protection twice. The problems still persist.  It seems your techs just want to remote access my computer to uninstall and reinstall McAfee and tell me to try running the programs for a few days to see how it works. What the H is going on with McAfee/INTEL? I have no idea how well my computer is protected, if at all.

As soon as I posted this message, McAfee marked it SPAM, which means they won't post it. I had to justify it was not spam. I sent the required info to the Moderator but have not heard of any change in their position.

pomak
Contributor
Message 26 of 34

Jump to solution

This problem was previously reported mid-2022 but no solution yet march 2023 ! This is the worst tech support I have ever received.

newhit57
Contributor
Message 27 of 34

Jump to solution

I have tried McAfee support 2-3 times myself and still no solution. I'm about to give up on McAfee now. Seems very odd that a company with the knowledge that McAfee has can't solve this. Makes me doubtful of the total capability of their prestigiously advertised antivirus app.

newhit57
Contributor
Message 28 of 34

Jump to solution

After 2-3 pc restarts and "file too large" errors I have been able to use "Wrest" solution after another full pc restart. At least it's a start. Thanx "Wrest". I just hope my Windows 10 Pro has no "Explorer" legacies.

bean23
Contributor II
Message 29 of 34

Jump to solution

I didn't realize these problems have been on-going for so long.  

In addition to my original post, I suffer from popups that say McAfee has just run a scan and my computer is safe. No rhyme of reason as to when these popups occur.  Additionally I get popups with warnings. See attached. I starting to question the functionality McAfee Total Protection overall.

bean23

Wrest
Contributor II
Message 30 of 34

Jump to solution

You're welcome, newhit57.

I'm glad it helped. Hopefully McAfee will give us a solution soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community