cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Old_Guy
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

LiveSafe Firewall blocks connecting display to Roku Ultra

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64-bit and current LiveSafe.

I want to cast the display to my Roku box for larger display of some content that doesn't have native Roku abilities.

I added the Roku as a wireless display device so that it shows up in the "Connect" list from the action center.  When I try to connect it tries for a minute or so and then gives up with the generic "Something went wrong" error box.

The System event log then has this:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user {deleted} from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1949_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID ({deleted}). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

If I turn off the McAfee firewall it connects without a problem.  So I want to configure the firewall to allow the connections.

I tried finding the appropriate .exe by tracking down the CLSID and APPID in the registry but no luck there.

Has anyone figured this out?

2 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: LiveSafe Firewall blocks connecting display to Roku Ultra

Hi @Old_Guy 

We are sorry to hear that. Please try exlcuding all the associated files from programfles /programfilesX86/Program data and check issue status. Also refer the below article that has information on how to exclude files for Virus scan. 

If you are able to find the designated ports for the roku box try adding the port under firewall section in the UI and check status.

How to exclude files from virus scans on Windows or macOS 

Regards
Magesh J

OldGuy2
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: LiveSafe Firewall blocks connecting display to Roku Ultra

Recently had same problem w/ Win10 pro, Roku Express, McAfee Small Business.  McAfee firewall doesn't play nice with Roku.  (See Roku forums - lot of people w/ this problem).  Firewall was blocking IP addresses that Roku was trying to use.  I added those addresses to McAfee "My Network Connections" (under firewall) & re-booted both the Roku and PC.  Works fine now.  Make sure you only add addresses that are the Roku!  Should be Private Network IPs only.   For me was 2 IPs starting with 172.  To determine IPs to use, try to connect Roku 3-4 times while noting PC system time on each attempt.  Allow each attempt to time out & allow a minute between each attempt.  Now open McAfee "Security History."  You should be able to match up IP address connection attempts to times you tried to connect & should see duplication of addresses.  Note the IPs & use an IP lookup service (Lookip.net) to weed out non-Roku, non-private network attempts.  You may also wish to refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network       Hope this helped.    

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community