cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teapot
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

webadvisor log file

I had gotten a "low disk space" from windows 10 and I was trying to find things to delete and/or that were taking up space.   Noticed my mcafee directory was huge--and when I drilled into it, found the problem in a webadvisor log file.

Googling the directory name,  I noticed it was SAME problem as in this post:

https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor-log-file-grows-and-grows/m-p/654737

I was able to delete the log file w/o rebooting and saw the file immediately get recreated and immediately start growing again.   At this point I could open the file because it was small and then saw the messages were the same as in the posting about failing to open WebAdvisor registry key (exactly like in that post I quoted).

So tried to follow the "solution" steps to remedy this and this is where I find it weird...  I don't seem to have webadvisor installed--or windows uninstall doesn't think I do.   When I look in control panel/uninstall, the only McAfee I have is:

McAfee Internet Secuirity 16.0 R40.

No other McAfee product is listed.

I usually use the chrome browser and it's not in there as a plugin and I also looked at "chromium" edge and it doesn't have this as a plugin either.

Don't know if this is somehow installed as part of Internet Security but I didn't quickly see anything potentially pointing to it there either that I can disable.   I know I had it installed at one time but didn't like that it seemed to change the search to yahoo from google which is when I probably got rid of it.

Any idea what's doing this writing to the log file and if webadvisor is still installed, how I can disable it???   If there's something in the windows registry (regedit) that I can do to disable, I know enough how to do it there also...  But it appears something in McAfee thinks it's still there and it writing this error nonstop.

1 Reply
Allwyn_GI
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 2

Re: webadvisor log file

Hi @teapot,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please try uninstallaing McAfee by running the MCPR tool from the below link, then reinstall McAfee and check if the issue still persists. 

How to remove McAfee from Windows Computer

How to download and install McAfee 

If you still facing the issue, after the reinstallation feel free to contact our support team using the link below or reply back to the same post.

McAfee support 

Alternatively, if you speaking from US or Canada you can also contact McAfee team using the below number  +1 (866) 622-3911

Regards,

Allwyn I

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community