cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_88716
Contributor
Message 1 of 133

this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

can someone PLEASE tell me what this means/is and what to do about it!

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\seUpd.exe

it appears as a black box that looks like a chalk board with a blinking symbol. it remains a few seconds then disappears - only to keep returning over and over!

i have no idea what is means. is it spyware? a virus?

and if this is not the right or best place for it could one of the mod's please move it for me.

TIA

Message was edited by: princess.ms on 12/20/11 4:04:57 PM CST

Message was edited by: Hayton : the filename had the attributes of a link but gave a 404 -  on 20/12/11 23:29:45 GMT
132 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

There is presumably a file named "seUpd.exe" (or, if that was a typo, "saUpd.exe") in the folder 'c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\' which is trying, from the look of it, to update SiteAdvisor.

Go to that folder and if you see the file there right-click on it and select Properties. The General and/or Version tabs should tell you something about it.

Then open a browser and click on the SiteAdvisor symbol and select About, and then 'Check for Updates'.

If after that the pop-ups continue then we'll have to ask what this is, because I haven't seen it before.

Edit - And I've moved this thread into the SiteAdvisor section

Message was edited by: Hayton on 20/12/11 23:39:56 GMT
bg1
Former Member
Message 3 of 133

I started have the same problem today except the last eight digits in the c: string are saUpd.exe

The window pops up about every 30 minutes

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 133

The name in the original post is interesting. A while back there were posts in the Malwarebytes forums about a suspect file named seUpd.exe (in an entirely different location), so perhaps you should both run Malwarebytes - the free version - and see if it detects anything.

plvltr
Former Member
Message 5 of 133

I have the same problem as bg1.  There are two files in the C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor directory that were created 12/17/2011, saUpd.exe and saUI.exe.  On my computer the DOS type window (like what you get when you Start>Run>cmd) pops up every 10 minutes with nothing inside and disappears after a second or two.  In the saUpd.exe binary file I have seen the following:

"

standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0"

processorArchitecture="X86"

name="saupd"

type="win32"/>

<description>SiteAdvisor Updater</description>

<!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<security>

<requestedPrivileges>

<requestedExecutionLevel

level="requireAdministrator"

uiAccess="false"/>

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

<compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">

<application>

<!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows Vista -->

<supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>

<!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 7 -->

<supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>

</application>

</compatibility>

</assembly>

"

This would seem to indicate this is a legitimate SiteAdvisor file however what it is doing does not seem reasonable so I am asking for someone to confirm it is legitimate.

Here is a screen capture of the file's properties:

saUpd.exe_2011-12-20_212635.jpg

Note the name change is something I did as an experiment to see if this would stop the appearance of the window I described every 10 minutes, and it did.  Any help would be appreciated.  Although I can't be sure, this situation began on the 17th or 18th of this month.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 133

<security>

<requestedPrivileges>

<requestedExecutionLevel

level="requireAdministrator"

Were you in an account with Administrator privileges when the constant command window pop-ups were happening? If you weren't, then I don't know if that would cause the re-occurrences, but it might.

level
Contributor
Message 7 of 133

I am getting this as well, it started after a recent SiteAdvisor update.

To help diagnose this, I am using Win XP and my account is an admin.

It is very annoying when it interrupts typing or games, I may have to uninstall SiteAdvisor until this is fixed.

rmasso
Former Member
Message 8 of 133

My SiteAdvisor also updated to the latest version last night after I did a reboot.  There are two new files as described by one of the posts above: saUI.exe and saUpd.exe both are with the latest version of SiteAdvisor (3.4.1) mine pops up every ten minutes and there is no ini file to configure the time limit as to how often it pops up.  My thinking is that this was a misconfiguration in the application as I can't imagine a need to check for software updates every ten minutes (or 144 times a day).  I am at work right now but will attempt to change the extension as in one of the posts above until this issue is fixed as it is quite annoying.  I also use Norton and in my history items it logs that c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\saUpd.exe is accessing the internet and this is every ten minutes thus it is filling up my logs with 144 entries per day.  Can someone please check the latest version and check with development? I also tried to go to the McAfee settings to see if I could change the frequency but to no avail.

Thanks,

Rich

user_88716
Contributor
Message 9 of 133

hello everyone!!

thanks so much for all the help and advice. that thing was driving me crazy.  this morning when i got on i looked all over for siteadvisor on my computer and realized i must have deleted it at some point!  don't know why it was still trying to do something but i looked for the folder as someone suggested and saw the uninstall and did that and i am happy to say that i have not seen that annoying pop up anymore!!  so hopefully that took care of the problem.

thanks again and happy holidays to you all!!!!

bg1
Former Member
Message 10 of 133

Good call Hayton,

I ran Malware Bytes which detected 9 infected files. Cleaning them really sped up my PC. Unfortunately, the dreaded pop-up kept appearing. I removed Site Advisor and then reloaded it. When I reloaded, I was prompted to allow the latest plugin for Firefox (3.4.1) and, so far, the problem seems to be resolved!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community