cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 121 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

I would wait for it to update if it hasn't already.

don_c
Former Member
Message 122 of 133

Good morning:

I was also wondering whether or not I should proceed with the patch or wait for an automatic update. My McAfee Site Advisor build is 3.4.1.189 and the last update was 01/14/2012 and so I am wondering if anyone knows exactly when we might expect that update?

Thank you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 123 of 133

You could probably hasten the update by uninstalling SiteAdvisor and reinstalling from http://www.siteadvisor.com

To uninstall it go to Control Panel & look for it in the programme list.  If not listed select the McAfee SecurityCenter item and then it should give you the option to remove only SA.  reboot and reinstall.

If that doesn't work then it's your choice - I have no idea when the updates occur as they are supposed to be silent and automatic.

Hopefully a SiteAdvisor expert will spot this and clarify the situation for you.

markinvention
Contributor
Message 124 of 133

For me, this is possibly another variable which could compound the problem when the update finally arrives to fix this.

I am serious considering ditching McAfee for another program if this isn't sorted out quickly.

don_c
Former Member
Message 125 of 133

Thanks for the input, folks.

I think that I will wait a day or so in the hopes that an automatic update comes through ...

I am really a novice at all of this.

Thanks, again!

user_64610
Contributor
Message 126 of 133

Okay I had this problem after a typical update from McAfee. It was annoying and interrupted any fullscreen applications/programs I was running.

Solution :

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Select McAfee

Select Change/Remove button.

In a McAfee window that appears, check the box next to Site Advisor and click remove.

That solved it for me.

You can opt to re-install it if you wish, but I am not an avid fan of Site Advisor.
I only use a very select number of websites (5 or 6), so I have no use for this feature.

For those that are avid surfers, I suggest re-installing.

Happy Computing,
-Fachtna

louie19
Former Member
Message 127 of 133

Dinesh & Mark Visscher (posts # 108 & 109)

In looking on the internet to find what the heck this pop up box was (in fear of a virus, etc), I came upon this coummunity discussion site.  After reading all the posts I will say it has been very interesting and educational, and I decided to join.

Unfortunately, I must add myself to the group.  I just had updates automatically done on January 22.  The pop up screen as stated throughout this discussion started late last night (Jan 22).  Markinvention in post #119 makes a good point.  Per Mark V, sounds like a fix may be coming out this week.  What is the best course of action at this point?  Do we go ahead and run Dinesh's steps as stated in #108 or do we wait for the auto fix to come through? 

Here is some of my info:

HP Laptop

Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition

Version 2002, SP3

McAfee Antivirus Plus

Site Advisor

Version 3.4

Build 3.4.1.189

Affld 0

Let me know if there is any further information needed.

Thanks and great info everyone!
Laura

JohnG
Contributor
Message 128 of 133

Welcome Laura.

If you are dealing with only one computer, then simply download the program from this link from Dinesh's post #108:

http://sadownload.mcafee.com/products/SA/beta/saSetup.exe

Install that and reboot. (No need to uninstal build .189 first)

- JohnG

Message was edited by: JohnG on 1/23/12 12:46:48 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: JohnG on 1/23/12 1:30:13 PM GMT-05:00
JohnG
Contributor
Message 129 of 133

Ex_Brit wrote:

You could probably hasten the update by uninstalling SiteAdvisor and reinstalling from http://www.siteadvisor.com

To uninstall it go to Control Panel & look for it in the programme list.  If not listed select the McAfee SecurityCenter item and then it should give you the option to remove only SA.  reboot and reinstall.

If that doesn't work then it's your choice - I have no idea when the updates occur as they are supposed to be silent and automatic.

Hopefully a SiteAdvisor expert will spot this and clarify the situation for you.

Peter,

First, this works if you only have a few computers to deal with. But I've got over 60, and someone else here referred to 300 computers.

I've updated three, but am finding others have the problem and have simply not told me about it. So we need the automatic update to work as soon as possible.

More importantly, I don't believe the download site has been updated yet, as that download is different from the one to which Dinesh posted the link in post #108.

It has always been a problem that the version is not identified on the download page or in the setup program name.

If it's not acceptable to do that for some reason, then at least the version number should be embedded in the properties of the setup executable itself, so that after downloading it one could identify the version before installing it.

As it is now, one has to install the program to find out what version it is. In this current case this may regress to an older version.

Can you (or Mark Visscher if he's reading this) ask to get this version number visible somewhere?

Thanks,
- JohnG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 130 of 133

Sorry, wont the solution you posted just prior to this work easier?

I would imagine Mark Vissche is monitoring all these threads anyway, let's hope he chimes in.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/01/12 3:56:17 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community