cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 111 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

I spoke too soon about the "fix" using Site Advisor service working. Come the evening the problem had returned.

Have now (re)installed SiteAdvisor from the link you have provided. SiteAdvisor is now version 3.4.1.193 and is working in both Internet Explorer (version 8 which is the latest I can have with Windows XP) and Firefox (version 9.0.1).

Not sure yet if this has fixed the problem, will let you know in due course.

Derek Shaw

toebin
Former Member
Message 112 of 133

Mark thanks for the update and the backstory on the Site Advisor issue. I'm glad it appears a "fix" is available.

I would also like to thank Dinz and Hayton for keeping us in the loop with info and not letting us feel like the issue isn't being worked on. The communication was great IMHO and I appreciate being asked to participate in the solution.

Any software can have a glitch but keeping the customer involved in the process really makes a bad situation better.

Like I said earlier, I'm all good to go on the PC side with McAfee... the desktop icon is gone and I don't have any dos prompts popping up anymore. Now to just get a final solution from tier 3 tech support on my android phone and the Mobile version of McAfee, then life will be GREAT!

johnm
Former Member
Message 113 of 133

Likewise, I thought I had found a fix by changing the status of the Site Advisor service.  While it stayed away all day yesterday after the fix, the DOS popup is back.

I will run the script for a more permanent fix, I hope.

beans1
Former Member
Message 114 of 133

I installed the fix last night. Been on the computer 2 hours and no popups so far.

kennovo
Former Member
Message 115 of 133

I carried out the recommended fix this morning. So far there has not been a repeat of the annoying pop-up. Its absence is now allowing my computer to go properly into hibernate mode.

Running Windows XP(SP3) and IE8. Site adviser is now 3.4.1.193.

But the drop-down from the browser tool bar still thinks that I at one stage had a"LIVE" subscription as it is tracking its' supposed expiry. But I think I can live with that as it is not doing any harm.

JohnG
Contributor
Message 116 of 133

This is to report that the update we did to v3.4.1.193 yesterday has solved the problem.

I've since installed it on 3 more computers, and it has solved the problem on all.

No more pop-ups, whether or not Secure Search is enabled.

Let's get this onto the SA auto-update servers so all computers will get updated.

Thanks Mark and Dinesh for the attention to this.

- JohnG

johnm
Former Member
Message 117 of 133

It has been 2 days since running the script and no popups. 

Thanks McAfee.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 118 of 133

2 days now since installing this - which gives SiteAdvisor 3.4.1.193. No DOS pop--up since so it looks as though this has cured the problem for me as it has for some others.

Thanks for your efforts in providing this fix.

Derek Shaw

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 119 of 133

Things are looking good for most I hope, all the best.

markinvention
Contributor
Message 120 of 133

Dear all

So what should we do? Run the fix as advised a few posts ago, or wait for McAfee to issue a fix via an automatic update?

Obviously, I don't want to create further problems by running the fix (with it hopefully working) and then have something come down via an auto update which compounds the problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community