cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toebin
Former Member
Message 101 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Hi All,

Sorry Delclemons, but when I reactivated the SA services the dos prompt came right back. I had it turned off for over 24 hrs at the time.

Dinz did a remote session on my comp today and took several log files with the dos prompt popping up. He then fixed everything by installing a new version of Site Advisor and did some more log files. I'm not sure if he uninstalled the old SA first or not. I'm now running Site Advisor Version 3.4 Build 3.4.1.193

Now my McAfee Internet Security just did an update (several hours after my remote session) that required a reboot. Everything remains fine, no problems noted. The only thing I can see that has updated is the main McAfee Internet Security program, it is now Version 11 as before but the build is 11.0.654 .. Site Advisor remains at the 193 build that was put in this morning.

I'm thinking they may be pushing out a "fix" ???  Or it's just coincidence that the entire program updated today with a reboot required?

Wanted to update the Team... on what's transpired today.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 102 of 133

Thanks for the update, toebin. If other people get a SiteAdvisor update to 193 can they report back to say if it's cured the pop-ups?

patrelle
Contributor
Message 103 of 133

With the telephone assistance of McAfee's Tech Support, I did what was suggested in cazieel's post 98 over an hour ago.  So far, no popups. 

toebin
Former Member
Message 104 of 133

Geesh, I just had a lightbulb moment. So I rebooted and sure enough, the auto update to McAfee that I had a little while ago was the desktop icon fix. After the reboot the icon is FINALLY gone, yay!!

But my SA fix seems to have been with the install of a newer version of SA that Dinz did earlier to the 193 build.

I'm all good now on my PC version of McAfee!!!

JohnG
Contributor
Message 105 of 133

delclemons wrote:

Day three now and no more command prompt windows after disabling and then a day later, re enabling the McAfee Site Advisor Service.   No other changes made to my system other than periodic Dat updates to McAfee Antivirus plus and Malwarebytes updates.   

On my system, the event log was full of DCOM errors when site advisor service was previously enabled.   Once it was disabled and then subsequently re enabled a day later, the event log shows nothing remarkable.

The focus of the problem on my system seems to originate with the service and it's interaction with DCOM and may be a point of focus for technical personnel within McAfee to try and determine the cause of this problem for others........

My experience is different.

After leaving the SA service disabled for a day (no popups), I reenabled it today and immediately the popups resumed.

Also, my Event Log shows no errors when SA is enabled and popping up. But when it was disabled it was producing a 10005 DCOM event every few seconds, saying "The service cannot be started".

I do not want to uninstall build 189, as I'd rather be able to report whether an update with a new build fixes the problem without an uninstall / reinstall.

Hopefully that will be soon.

- JohnG

beans1
Former Member
Message 106 of 133

I am glad it worked for you. It didn't work for me. Hello...McAfee!

johnm
Former Member
Message 107 of 133

I am also having this problem and followed several suggestions from previous posters.  Most did not work.  However, the following suggestion did stop the popups and it was easy (seems too easy).

Go to Control Panel / Admin / Services and stop the Site Advisor service and make it manual.  Save the change.

Then go back to the Site Advisor service and make it automatic and start the service.

That is it.  The pop up stop (at least for me).  I rebooted and the pop up is still stopped.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 108 of 133

johnm

Not sure where you got this suggestion but I tried it earlier today. (Navigate from Control Panel appropriately and set the Site Advisor service to manual and clicked OK. I then exited Control Panel to be on the safe side and then went in again to change the setting back to Automatic. I then exited the Control Panel, turned off my computer and restarted it again - all very simple and not taking very long).

Since then I have been using my computer a lot today with Firefox, Thunderbird, Word and a Freeware file manager and I also tried Internet Explorer.

No sign of the DOS box pop-up all day now since then so this seems to have fixed the problem for me - at least for the time being. Maybe this is THE answer. Perhaps it corrects a Registry entry which had become corrupt following a McAfee update.

Site Advisor is still version 3.4.1.189

I hope that this fix will remain after any future McAfee update but if it does not then I can always try this again and hope this does the trick.

Derek Shaw

Dinz
Former Member
Message 109 of 133

Hi All,

Please run the below patch on your PC’s where you get the SA pop up error , reboot the PC and kindly keep us posted the status .

Steps :

After the PC restarts, kindly keep us posted on the status of the error.

Additionally, we just worked with users like ; toebin and JohnG on this thread who got their issue fixed , thanks Guys for volunteering . Others please keep us posted with your status .

Regards,

mvissche
Contributor III
Message 110 of 133

Hi Everyone, my name is Mark and I'm the Product Manager for SiteAdvisor.  I just wanted to add some context and clarity to the situation here that is affecting a large number of our users. 

A few weeks ago, we started rolling out our latest maintenance release, SiteAdvisor 3.4.1.  In the time that has passed, we've been notified of this command prompt pop-up issue and we've been actively investigating it over the last couple weeks.  We believe this issue is isolated to a particular version of our system security suite and Windows XP.  This is a problem we've had specific problems recreating in our test environments.

Nevertheless, as of earlier this week, we have halted additional deployments of SiteAdvisor 3.4.1, and have worked to resolve the problem.  We've reached out to several affected users on this thread to help us test the fix and our solution appears to be working.  As you can see from the previous post, we're asking for your help in further verifying our solution.

If everything continues to look positive with this fix, we are aiming to begin rolling out the fix by early next week, starting Monday.  We're also targeting incorporation of this fix into our downloadable version on SA.com.

Obviously we have a quality gap here we need to address, and we will be taking on root cause analysis and correction moving forward to prevent these sort of problems from happening again.

As always, we appreciate you trusting SiteAdvisor for your web protection.  From the team, I apologize for the disruptions this may have caused in your usage.  We need to get better, and we will.

Best,

Mark Visscher

SiteAdvisor Product Manager

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community