cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dinz
Former Member
Message 81 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with regards to this error and thanks for providing much information on this .We have already taken this issue to the concerned team for evaluation, which require McAfee logs from the affected PC's. So with that intent , I have already sent across emails to some of you . toebin,wilyoung ,joan189,JohnG or tpbarnes01 please check and reply back to the emails sent so that we can proceed much faster with this . Others, if you are interested on a remote session to get us the logs, please click on the Avatar image and sent me a private message .

Thanks for your patience and help .

Regards,

delclemons
Contributor
Message 82 of 133

I have some new interesting news to report, for what it's worth........

I was the one who suggested originally, to disable the McAfee Site Advisor service, which I did several days ago after the issue began on my desktop computer.

Yesterday, I decided to experiment and reset the service to automatic.   It is currently, and has been, running and is active.    SINCE REACTIVATING THE MCAFEE SITE ADVISOR SERVICE, THE ISSUE HAS NOT REAPPEARED!!!

No other changes have been made to my computer over this period of time other than the periodic updates of McAfee software/dats and the updates made to Malwarebytes.

I checked and am still running Version 3.4 build 3.4.1.189 of Site Advisor which arrived on my computer Jan 13, 2012.    I am running Windows XP sp3 with IE 8, no other browsers installed.

It seems that disabling the site advisor service for a period of time and then re-enabling the service has has some effect although I cannot determine what it may be.  A check of my event log does not show anything remarkable occuring since the enabling of McAfee Site advisor.  

Just a bit of input to "TEAM" trying to track down this problem.............................

Delbert

beans1
Former Member
Message 83 of 133

I am having the same problem. It appreared after the last update. It is a command prompt screen labeled C: Program McAfee Sitead~1.Saupd.exe. There is a blinking white cursor in the black box and it disappears after 5 seconds. While the screen in up, no typing can be done. I ran the MalwareBytes program that was suggested. I did find three registry changes and one tryjan (I thought McAfee was supposed to catch that). The Malwarebytes program innoculated my computer against the virus and changed the registry back to what the settings were supposed to be. Since I have been typing this, the box popped up again.

Jonathan

toebin
Former Member
Message 84 of 133

Dinz, email read and replied to.

delclemons... interesting... I'm still sitting with my service turned off but I did notice on my McAfee "about" screen that it says I have Site Advisor 3.4.1.189 but it was last updated on 12/31/1969 . THAT is a change since inactivating the service.

I will wait a bit to see what Dinz has in store for me before reactivating anything. Currently I have the service turned off in Control Panel AND I have it disabled in Firefox extensions. Which has stopped the blasted DOS prompt box from popping up.

edit: Beans1 welcome to the party!! We're all in the same boat as you.

Message was edited by: toebin on 1/17/12 1:57:54 PM CST
shayshay
Contributor
Message 85 of 133

I am also getting pop up  MCAFEE\SiteAD~1\saUPD.exe .... I checked out the folder (saUpd.exe) .... but it's empty .... not sure what this means, but I sure would like a fix .... pop up is annoying.

McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.4.0 incompatible with Firefox 9.0.1

Message was edited by: shayshay on 1/17/12 4:01:42 PM CST
cazieel
Former Member
Message 86 of 133

After working with yet another tech today (for a couple of hours), I was told by McAfee tech Mark Talag that the only way to fix this is to uninstall and reinstall SiteAdvisor completly. This could be done either through the Add/Remove programs or through the propritary McAfee Removal Tool.

I know others have posted fixes that worked for them, but I thought I'd share what I was told.

beans1
Former Member
Message 87 of 133

Well it seems that since McAfee broke it, they should fix it. I am patient to a large degree, but I am not one to spend hours of my time trying to fix a problem McAfee created.

bgthecat
Former Member
Message 88 of 133

I am having the same problem and my solution is to unistall McAfee altogether and go over to Norton.

toebin
Former Member
Message 89 of 133

Ohh believe me bgthecat, Norton has the same sorts of issues as well. Perhaps not this same exact issue ... but all of the AV software vendors have quirks that pop up. I'm just glad the folks here are interested and communicating to us about the problem and working on a fix.

Now if I could just get my McAfee mobile problem solved...lol  Tier 3 tech support is working on it.. yay!

manthabean
Former Member
Message 90 of 133

I had the same problem. That damn box popping up with the saupd.exe.  Mine was popping up about every ten minutes.  I contacted McAfee technical support, real easy fix:

1. Go to siteadvisor.com and download Site Advisor to your desktop.

2. Go to Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs/McAfee, select Change, select SiteAdvisor and Remove.

3. Reboot computer and then re-install SiteAdvsor from the file you saved to your desktop.

I also did the same to my mother's computer and she has had no further problems.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community