cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
answer7
Former Member
Message 71 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Thanks colin and the rest of you for instruc/advice.

But I am still pretty disgusted at mcafee seeing that there have been constant problems since ( for me ) November.
Still don't know what's going on with the netguard issue (another problem in another thread)

Since I've already paid for this Antivirus plus thru next Sept, I will keep it. After that, no more Mcafee ever again.

These constant problems are just not acceptable

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 72 of 133

I hear you and we have passed all of this upwards and I know they are working on solutions, but it's not easy as they can't always reproduce the issues that people report.  Don't for one minute think Norton, Kaspersky etc. are any different in this regard, just read their support forums.  Some issue are easily fixed others are not, unfortunately it's a fact of life.

Anyway I assure you we are keeping up the pressure on McAfee.

colin
Former Member
Message 73 of 133

Never heard of MacAfee Ultra Edition Suite. Can't get it from MacAcfee. I spent less than 10 minutes doing what I said and problem fixed without disabling anything or changing any file names or whatever. Disabling Site Advisor disables its benefits - why bother when the issue can be fixed in no time flat for anyone who has a "normal" MacAfee installation.

colin
Former Member
Message 74 of 133

Re Answer7's problems with McAfee (which I note I have spelt incorrectly on more than one occasion!) I have only ever had 2 problems - this one and another which was so long ago I can't remember the details. I changed to McAfee due to endless problems with Norton, so I believe Ex_Brit is right - they all have their  issues but in my experience McAfee has less than most. Hope you get your other problems resolved pronto. As an update - still no re-appearance of the problem on my XP machine despite several re-starts for other reasons, so it looks like it's gone for good. All done in less time than it took to write these posts and without any "crap".  McAfee still need to find a solution for those who can't resolve it as I did as it is was extremely irritating.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 75 of 133

Status update, everyone.

This was indeed raised as an urgent matter in the conference call. Apparently the issue is also being flagged by the Support teams, meaning they're picking up a significant number of complaints about it. That's good, since it means it gets treated as a serious issue straight away.

One suggestion was that resetting Internet Explorer settings to default might be a solution. (Don't ask me why that should work if you're using Firefox; with Chrome, possibly). Would someone like to try it, then reboot and see if has any effect?

My earlier hypothesis that a registry setting might be incorrect still stands as a possibility. Equally, a registry key may be missing rather than incorrect; in which case MVT would detect the missing key. Would someone else care to run MVT and report back if it finds a problem?

The problem seems to have started with the SiteAdvisor update to 3.4.1.168, I think, and continued over into the latest (which I have) which is 3.4.1.189. Anyone with this problem have a different SiteAdvisor version?

The problem, whatever it is, is not universal. That is, I for one haven't seen it. I've got the saUpd.exe updater file, and had a couple of SA updates, but I don't get the pop-up window. The question was put in the call whether this is restricted to a particular release or version of McAfee. There are quite a few varieties of McAfee program, and if you add in the customised installations that come from places like Dell, BT, O2, AOL and so on that makes a lot of different types of installation. Plus there are different releases out there. It would help diagnosis if you could make a note (from the info in Security Center) of which product you've got, which version, and the Affid number (which identifies the customised installations), and keep it for reference. The support people will need that information to work out where this has come from.

Apologies to everyone expecting a magic fix immediately. But at least McAfee are taking this seriously (and so they should).

patrelle
Contributor
Message 76 of 133

Hayton, thank you for the update (your post 74).  Although I am somewhat tech-challenged, I know I have AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee (it came with my DSL service).  The SiteAdvisor version I have is 3.4.1.  I have been reluctant to make any changes (removing, disabling, uninstalling, etc.) to my current settings for fear of creating more problems.  Also, based on all the discussions, there have been so many different ways of dealing with this annoying popup window and some of them have not worked.

I hope you will keep us informed of any action McAfee is taking to correct this problem and hopefully give us a possible timeline as to when this problem will be resolved.

Thanks. 

Message was edited by: patrelle on 1/16/12 9:16:55 PM CST
colin
Former Member
Message 77 of 133

UPDATE TO POSSIBLE  TEMPORARY SOLUTION IN MY POST 61

I can report that following my post 61 yesterday I have had no more instances of this problem on my XP machine since applying the procedure described in my post. It had previously been bugging me every 10 minutes for ages, and it took less than that time to deal with it.

TheBlueRoom
Former Member
Message 78 of 133

I am now experiencing this problem which appears to have started after Mcafee updated itself yesterday.

I replied to a thread regarding the amount of CPU time that McShield was hogging recently and also another issue which involved McAfee bringing up its own Firewall whenever it updated itself rendering my copy of Thunderbird and remote access to my machine un-usable.

I am wondering what with the way this product absolutely hammers my hard disk and CPU and the fact I am now suffering a poxy DOS pop-up which renders the "focus" on my e-mail writing useless every 10 minutes, it would be easier to remove the whole lot and see what real damage exposing myself to a virus with this rather laughable "protection" software proports to protect me from.

Surely a performance hit and lousy pop-ups is supposed to be what McAfee is purchased for to prevent the suffereing of.

I am now considering that waiting for my subscription renewal before I  jump elsewhere not an option and I need to move now.

toebin
Former Member
Message 79 of 133

Hayton,

Thanks so much for keeping us informed. It's really appreciated!!

I have the 3.4.1.189 version of Site Advisor and I had NO issues at all until it updated on 1/13/2012.

I have a standard program install of McAfee Internet Security (not AOL, ATT etc) and the affid=0

I've not had the DOS prompt box since killing the service but I would be willing to reactivate it and run MVT if I knew what is was....lol

I have a very old pentium 4 system with Win XP Pro sp 3... and it is taxed to the max most of the time. Not sure if that makes a difference when considering bug hunting as I am probably not a good example of the latest and greatest test system.

On another note I will say that my husbands machine got the very same update and he is not experiencing these problems.. he did however get several errors after the last update (on 1/13/2012) with Firefox screens that opened up stating it wanted to run scripts and several other McAfee items but were unable to without permission from him. The errors freaked him out so he called me to his screen. I just cancelled the error screens as I had NO idea what was going on... I'll have to check his McAfee info to see what build of site advisor he's got since I doubt the last update "took" because of not allowing those things to install.

Message was edited by: toebin on 1/17/12 7:35:08 AM CST

Message was edited by: toebin on 1/17/12 7:44:52 AM CST
cazieel
Former Member
Message 80 of 133

I'm not really expecting a magic fix, just information from McAfee really. I've had 3 McAfee techs pull logs from various computers through online support. I've been passed up to what I've been told was developer support. The last thing I heard from them was I would have to wait a few weeks and manually update the updater to fix the problem.

Uninstalling is one fix for many people here, but when dealing with users who do not have administrator rights on their computer, they don't have that option open to them. Right now this is an network administrative nightmare!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community