cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
answer7
Former Member
Message 51 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Thank You,

Site Advisor has been removed. Now will reinstalling this from you link resolve this?

After 3 months of Mcafee issues stemming from constant udates, I'm skeptical

Can anyone here tell me that this install resolves the problem?

OK,

So I download this SA  from your link  and run and nothing happens

please inform

Message was edited by: answer7 on 1/15/12 1:00:34 AM CST

Message was edited by: answer7 on 1/15/12 8:52:49 AM CST
joanj189
Former Member
Message 52 of 133

How do I get to the screen where I can uninstall Site Advisor? My screens look nothing like that. It's causing that crazy windows terminal pop with saUpd.exe and I want it to stop.

delclemons
Contributor
Message 53 of 133

Once again, the simplest workaround at this moment is to just disable the McAfee Site Advisor service under the services window.  Once a fix has been developed, turn the service back on and enjoy the fix without all the annoyance.    No uninstall, install, no tweeking, renaming all that jazz.................just stop the service frrom running!!!

andyb700
Former Member
Message 54 of 133

Big thank you to delclemons post no 35 for the work around. No more DOS prompt box

Message was edited by: andyb700 on 15/01/12 13:05:24 CST
JohnG
Contributor
Message 55 of 133

vance51 wrote:

Try this. It works with my computer Win XP Pro:

Go to:

C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\saUpd.exe

Right click mouse\properties\compatibility\

Change: run this program incompatibility mode for windows from 1995 to 2000

In Windows XP, I changed the properties of saUpd.exe to "Windows 2000" and rebooted.

The popups continue every 10 minutes. (I've not tried other compatibility modes).

- JohnG

Message was edited by: JohnG on 1/15/12 4:53:12 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: JohnG on 1/15/12 4:55:32 PM GMT-05:00
toebin
Former Member
Message 56 of 133

Well... hmm..

I went ahead and went  in to Firefox  9.0.1 "Tools", "Ad Ons", "Extensions" and disabled the Firefox extensions for Site Advisor, both the scriptscan and Site Advisor 3.4.1 , closed firefox, rebooted the Comp and so far I have NOT seen a DOS prompt box at all. Note: The DOS Prompt did not disappear until I rebooted the Comp. It's been several hours now.. we'll see what it does tomorrow after I shut the computer down for the night.

Sad that I can't run with Site Advisor active but hopefully they will get a fix for this soon.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 57 of 133

Kudos to delclemons for pointing out the disable option. I did mention 'disable' in an earlier post but failed to say how to do it.

cazieel
Former Member
Message 58 of 133

It seems there are actually 2 ways of encountering this problem. One is if you installed the full blown Mcafee package. The other is those who installed the Siteadvisor standalone from the web. Only those who installed the standalone will see the Mcafee Siteadvisor listed in add/remove programs.

I was able to test on one system and found a ways of both disabling and uninstalling the service. From a command prompt:

C:\Sc Delete "Mcafee Siteadvisor Service"

This removes the service from the registry and on next boot it won't run. This seems to work for both packages.

This also allowed me to install the newer version on the website. For those who ask wouldn't it be easier to uninstall, I was a able to put this into a msi format to add to the domain login script. Otherwise I would have manually uninstall it from all 300+ computers on my network (since my initial posting I've had additional reports of this problem).

I should know sometime on Tuesday if it worked when I get back to work.

clo
Former Member
Message 59 of 133

Bonjour,

J'ai le même problème depuis vendredi. En désinstallant Site Advisor, comme vous le préconisez, le pop up n'apparaît plus. Ouf ! Je verrai ce qui se passe lorsque je réinstallerai le module.

In my bad english : hello, for three days, I have had the same problem. As you said, I have just disinstalled Site Advisor, and it seems that no pop up come back. I wait for some hours before try to re-install SiteAdvisor.

Thank you... and happy new year.

Clo

tpbarnes01
Former Member
Message 60 of 133

Heres a screen shot of the culprit!!!!!!

Clipboard01.jpg

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community