cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vance51
Former Member
Message 41 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Try this. It works with my computer Win XP Pro:

Go to:

C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\saUpd.exe

Right click mouse\properties\compatibility\

Change: run this program incompatibility mode for windows from 1995 to 2000

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 42 of 133

Okay, I've read the posts in the thread and I suspect a registry key may be set to an incorrect value. The popup DOS box looks like SiteAdvisor attempting to download an update which it thinks is waiting on a server somewhere to be installed. That would account for the internet access that one poster noted every time the box appears. If there isn't an update waiting, the download box times out after a fixed period, but tries again - and keeps trying.

Some things seem to work for one user but not another. They might be worth trying.

1 - If you're running an old version of Firefox, update it. Then do a manual update of Add-ons, and check the status of your plug-ins. At the very least, you'll be browsing more safely.

2. If you have SiteAdvisor Secure Search enabled, try disabling it. I don't see why that would work, but one poster said it did for him.

3. The file making the download attempt is "saupd.exe". The file path is repeatedly given as "C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\", which indicates XP. Find the file, and rename it - I suggest to "saupd.ex_", but add an extra suffix if you prefer, to "saupd.exe.whatever". If the file effectively doesn't exist any more, it can't run.

4. In extremis, disable or uninstall SiteAdvisor. Keep an eye on the threads, you'll know soon enough when the problem's been fixed.

delclemons
Contributor
Message 43 of 133

Hayton _ Moderator:

Some things seem to work for one user but not another. They might be worth trying.

1 - If you're running an old version of Firefox, update it. Then do a manual update of Add-ons, and check the status of your plug-ins. At the very least, you'll be browsing more safely.

2. If you have SiteAdvisor Secure Search enabled, try disabling it. I don't see why that would work, but one poster said it did for him.

3. The file making the download attempt is "saupd.exe". The file path is repeatedly given as "C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\", which indicates XP. Find the file, and rename it - I suggest to "saupd.ex_", but add an extra suffix if you prefer, to "saupd.exe.whatever". If the file effectively doesn't exist any more, it can't run.

4. In extremis, disable or uninstall SiteAdvisor. Keep an eye on the threads, you'll know soon enough when the problem's been fixed.

None of the above would work for me.....once again, the only work around for me was to disable the Site Advisor Service completely.    I was unable to rename the saUpd.exe file which is protected and access denied.   (I guess if I prevented McAfee from starting up, I may be able to rename it, but disabling the service was quicker and easier and easily reversed.

Delbert

toebin
Former Member
Message 44 of 133

Well I posted about this in another section of the forum, thanks to Hayton for pointing me in the right direction. Am I correct in assuming this has been an ongoing issue since last month ? 

Put me in the basket as having the same exact problem. Running XP Pro SP3 Firefox 9.0.1(fully updated). After an update to McAfee Internet Security yesterday 1/13/2012 I've been getting a DOS Command Prompt window that is popping up about every 10 minutes on my desktop. The path of the DOS prompt is C:\Progra~1\McAfee\Sitead~1\saUPD.exe  . It's VERY annoying and VERY intrusive.

Like I said I am really getting concerned about the product quality control of McAfee's software. Between the desktop Icon issue that should finally be fixed this coming week, this DOS prompt that's been hanging around and I also have an ongoing tech support issue with the Mobile Internet Security program on my phone(up to tier 3 tech support finally). I've used McAfee for decades (literally) and haven't seen shoddy work like this in a very long time. Things need to improve folks !!

wilyoung
Contributor
Message 45 of 133

I was having a couple of problems apparently associated with recent update of Firefox and SiteAdvisor. It appeared that SiteAdvisor was causing the problem. Just in desperation I ran AVG PC Tuneup (I hadn't used this program before) and it found over 5000 problems throughout my computer, from registry errors to junk temp files. Things seem to be running more-or-less normally now. A good cleaning sometimes does wonders. Other cleanup programs may do the same thing for you.

sijil
Contributor
Message 46 of 133

Pleaese reinstall McAfee Site Advisor, your issue will be fixed.

Click “Start” menu.

Click Control Panel.

Double-click Add or Remove Programs/Programs and features.

Select and remove McAfee Site Advisor

Reboot and reconnect

Install McAfee Site Advisor from http://www.siteadvisor.com

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 47 of 133

... and if that doesn't work I'll post the instructions for disabling the updater program.

answer7
Former Member
Message 48 of 133

Mcafee Site advisor is not in my Add/Remove programs

Any other solution to this BS

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 49 of 133

It's part of McAfee, it doesn't show up as a separate item.

Uninstall SA - 1.JPG

Uninstall SA - 2.JPG

Click 'Remove'.

Done.

patrelle
Contributor
Message 50 of 133

I have Windows XP.  Has anyone else tried changing the compatability mode to see if resolved the problem?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community