cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnG
Contributor
Message 31 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Apparently I posted too soon.

After disabling "Secure Search" and rebooting, I went  all day with no popups.

However, all of a sudden, about 8 hours after the reboot, the popups began again.

Secure Search is still disabled, and no browser was running when the popups restarted. They are now occurring every 10 minutes plus a few seconds.

Again this is v3.4.1.189, Windows XP Pro SP3, and IE8.

- JohnG

auntof6
Former Member
Message 32 of 133

The same thing happened with me, JohnG. I disabled, rebooted, and worked happily all day until just a little while ago. For the record, here are my software details:

• Windows XP Home Edition, sp3
  • Firefox 9.0.1
  • Site Advisor 3.4, build 3.4.1.189

For me, the problem start after my last update when I allowed Secure Search to be enabled.

Hmm, as I type this, there's another update running. Maybe there's a fix for this?

Message was edited by: auntof6 on 1/14/12 3:06:17 AM CST
jetfighter7
Former Member
Message 33 of 133

JaiPrakish,

I am also experiencing this annoying popup and the settings for Site advisor are as follows.

McAfee Site Advisor

Version 3.4

Build 3.4.1.189

Last update was 1/12/2012

Will you help provide an ETA on when this issue may be resolved?

I know Anti Virus updates are pushed out weekly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Message was edited by: jetfighter7 on 1/14/12 3:16:48 AM CST
mobasr
Contributor
Message 34 of 133

This problem must be very widespread. Add me to the list of having the same issue. Hope this is resolved soon.

I am also using the following.

• Windows XP Home Edition, sp3
  • Firefox 9.0.1
  • Site Advisor 3.4, build 3.4.1.189 last update says it was 1-11-12.

Its been doing this for at least a week, probably longer.

I have a Windows 7 pc that runs McAfee without the Site Advisor active and it is fine.

Annoying.

delclemons
Contributor
Message 35 of 133

Here I am again posting a problem with McAfee.   Been a user since 1997 with no problems....now, all of a sudden within the past two years it seems it is one thing after another.

I am patiently waiting for the desktop icon fix and now today this Site Advisor update command prompt keeps popping up.

I checked and have version 3.4.1.189

It was updated on my computer 1/13/12

Running Windows XP sp3 with Internet Explorer 8       -    No other browsers installed

Secure search IS NOT enabled

This constant command prompt is really becoming annoying.

I know McAfee says "well it is just an annoyance and we'll get it fixed", "it's really not leaving your computer exposed".   Come on McAfee don't you think it's time to get this software fixed or do you just intend to drive away your customer base???????????//

Can you tell I am really getting disgusted with this software???

delclemons
Contributor
Message 36 of 133

Well........I've disabled the McAfee Site Advisor service and at least now, the harrassing prompts have stopped and I can get something done on my computer.

Anyone who would feel more comfortable browsing the internet without the McAfee Site Advisor and not be plagued with the annoying constant command prompts can enter the control panel and click on "Adminstrative Tools" then click the "services" icon to enter the services menu.    Scroll down to McAfee Site Advisor Service and under the startup type box, select "disabled" and then apply.   Be sure to stop the service under the "service status" box or reboot to have this service stop running.

Once McAfee has put together a fix....maybe in a few months, you can once again enable the service and use it as it was intended.

frwight
Former Member
Message 37 of 133

This popup only appears on my PC after putting the PC in standby mode. Upon restarting the PC the popup appears every 10 minutes or so regardless of what's running on the PC. If I reboot the PC it does not come back but I cant shut the PC down into standby mode because it comes right back upon restarting. I have version 3.4 build 3.4.1.189

patrelle
Contributor
Message 38 of 133

I have been having the same problem for the past two days.  This popup window opens every 10 minutes.  It opens on my desktop even when I don't have any browsers open or applications running.  Does anyone know if there is 'live' telephone tech support?  Obviously, this popup window is annoying and intrusive.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 133

Since one of the senior McAfee techs has been involved I've been expecting a fix to come through, but it hasn't appeared yet. I don't get this popup, thankfully, and I don't know what's causing it. If I start getting it then McAfee will certainly get to hear about it .... for now, all I can say is that I've put this in as an urgent item in Monday's conference call. It's about time something was done to fix this problem.

answer7
Former Member
Message 40 of 133

Ok folks, help me out here.

Has Mcafee caused ANOTHER problem here???

Yesterday 01/13, once again, another annoying update came in and required a restart. Since last night I am getting periodic pop up boxes

that disappear rather quickly so its hard to get a full description.

It's a small black box with the words like C:/ PROGRA........ siteaid.. Mcafee ...

I KNOW THIS IS ANOTHER MCAFEE SCREW UP from the latest update

Since November I have nothing but problems after Mcafee updates. The last one was about turning off netguard

to stop THOSE pop ups, Now this started.

WTF are you folks doing about this, I want a solution. I will not update this crappy software again until I KNOW there will be a fix

Tell me how to resolve this latest problem. I didn't spend $50 bucks for one year of daily headaches

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community