cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

That must be the answer. The update is related specifically to Firefox. I take it everyone else has Firefox installed? If anyone doesn't have FF - or if the installed FF is not the latest version (whatever that is today) - then I'll have to pass this on to the SiteAdvisor section for them to look into. And at the tail end of December anything they get may well get shelved for a week or so ....

rmasso
Former Member
Message 12 of 133

Do you have still ahve the saUpd.exe in the c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\ folder?  My firefox showed the 3.4.1 add-on as working fine.

rmasso
Former Member
Message 13 of 133

I have firefox, latest version and under add-ons i see McAfee 3.4.1 allowed and running.  When I check for updates it tells me I am on the latest version.  But the saUpd.exe continues to run every ten minutes and you get the command window pop up.  Quite annoying.  I am an admin on my machine.  Aside from renaming the file so it doesn't run every ten minutes I'm not sure what else to do.

Rich

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 133

Something in the SiteAdvisor settings may have got messed up - bg1 just did an uninstall/reinstall of SiteAdvisor, which doesn't take more than a couple of minutes, and I think that very likely helped him resolve it.

rmasso
Former Member
Message 15 of 133

OK, am at work right now, I will try an uninstall and reinstall and post back later this evening.  For now I just had the file renamed to a .txt extension so it doesn't keep popping up.  Will post back this evening. Thanks.

rmasso
Former Member
Message 16 of 133

Hayton,

I just uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee on my work pc running same OS and firefox as my home machine.  It only loads siteadvisor 3.4.0.143 not 3.4.1.  I went to the mcafee siteadvisor website to get latest version and I only get 3.4.0.  I have seen this before where one of my 3 computers updates and the other two do not until later.  Is this a limited release or a full release?  I am venturing to guess that if I uninstall at home and reinstall tonight, it will fix the issue due to re-installing 3.4.0.  I also just upgraded my work pc to the latest firefox which is now version 9.0, I was on 8.0.  I believe my home pc is on 8.0.

When I go to options and check for updates, it tells me that 3.4.0.143 is the latest version.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

plvltr
Former Member
Message 17 of 133

Hayton wrote:

That must be the answer. The update is related specifically to Firefox. I take it everyone else has Firefox installed? If anyone doesn't have FF - or if the installed FF is not the latest version (whatever that is today) - then I'll have to pass this on to the SiteAdvisor section for them to look into. And at the tail end of December anything they get may well get shelved for a week or so ....

I have Firefox installed but have been using Chrome for a while now.  As a result, Firefox was not up to date.  I believe it said it was ver 5.0 so that is probably really old.  I just updated it and it is now 9.0.  Checking in Firefox after update, the McAfee SiteAdvisor plugin is ver 3.4.1.119.   Checking in Chrome, the SiteAdvisor extension is ver 3.41.119.1.  Hmmm... similar but not exactly the same.

I have renamed the two files so they are available as executables and will see what happens.  I may need to reboot before I see anything that would re-create the original problem.

While editing this post, the dreaded window popped up and then went away.  Note: I still haven't rebooted.

Message was edited by: plvltr on 12/21/11 11:58:44 AM CST
rmasso
Former Member
Message 18 of 133

Hayton,

It appears that trying to reinstall will not work.  When I try to go get the latest download it is giving me the 3.4.0.143 rather than the 3.4.1.168 file.  Additionally, the files on my pc currently have a mod time stamp of Thursday, November 24, 2011, 3:38:12 PM for McSACore.exe and Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 9:51:08 PM for saUpd.exe whereas the saSetup.exe that I download from the update link has a timestamp of mid November thus indicating it is not the latest file.  Having done the test on my work laptop earlier today, it downloaded the same mid-November file and I uninstalled and reinstalled it on my work laptop and it put me on version 3.4.0.143 and not the new one.  So uninstalling would fix the issue but it would fix it only by installing a previous version.

The issue does get resolved by renaming the file to saUpd.exe.txt as it then can't run.  Doing this seems to not affect any of the McAfee siteadvisor functionality.

I will leave mine labeled as such for now until a fix can be resolved and will monitor this thread for any updates.  Would you please be able to check with the development team on this?  One could say that something went wrong on the install, but the fact that in a matter of a few days of release we are getting a few people complaining about this already makes it seem to me that it is affecting various systems and that it could be an issue with the installer perhaps.  If I was able to download the latest version again I would uninstall, reboot and reinstall to test.  But as I mentioned, all attempts to download from McAfee's site continues to download the 3.4.0 version.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rich

JohnG
Contributor
Message 19 of 133

1. Clearly there is a typo in the original post. The program popping up in a console window every 10 minutes or so is saUpd.exe

2. This does not appear to have anything to do with Firefox. I'm seeing this on several computers that do not have Firefox installed.

3. Disabling the SA Toolbar in IE does not stop the console-window popup. (In fact, a browser does not need to be running to be getting this popup.)

4. This appears to have started with the v3.4.1.168 update.

We need some attention by the SA team on this please!

(Peter, can you help?)

- JohnG

user_88716
Contributor
Message 20 of 133

no that was NO TYPO in my original post. that is exactly what i copied from the pop-up screen.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community