cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabbythedog
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

siteadvisor "communications problem"

SiteAdvisor is GRAY, does not work, and says "we're experiencing communication problem right now."
SiteAdvisor version 2.6
Build 2.6.6253
IE version 7 (All add-ons enabled)
Going to the McAfee web site, SiteAdvisor works like it should.

removing and reinstalling SiteAdvisor has no effect on the problem.

Running IE 7 as "Administrator" or disabling then enabling add-ons has no effect.

any help out there?

R/gabbythedog
4 Replies
Raja
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: siteadvisor "communications problem"

This gets reported quite a bit. I can tell you that it's not a server side problem. The content server isn't running anywhere near capacity.

What happens when you run a traceroute to dss1.siteadvisor.com? The server will time out but what I want to see is the hops betweeen you and the server.

-R-
gabbythedog
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

siteadvisor

I'm not computer savy enough to understand what you want me to do. Could you explain in simpler terms?

R/gabbythedog
phantazm
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

RE: siteadvisor "communications problem"

You can find 'traceroute' (and many other useful tools) here: domaintools.com
Select 'DNS tools' and 'traceroute' appears...

PS: How about your firewall settings; have you checked them..?
gabbythedog
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

"Communications" Problem SOLVED (sort of)

I turned off the "User Account Control" In Windows Vista. Mcafee SiteAdvisor works now but the question is ....WHY? I'm not smart enough to answer that burning question.

On the up-side the SiteAdvisor program works as it should AND I don't get those anoying popups when any program starts up (permission to run etc.) in Vista. On the down side I've reduced the levels of protection for my machine.

Alls well that ends well.

R/ Gabbythedog
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community