Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digitalecartoon
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

site advisor won't install anymore

Jump to solution

I've formatted my drive and installed windows 7. Installing Virusscan Plus 2010 works fine except for Site Advisor. In the summary section it is always listed as 'install site advisor: failed'. As it is a formatted disk with only windows 7 installed there wasn't any other stuff installed which might conflict with mcafee. Why can't I install Site Advisor too?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 11

Re: site advisor won't install anymore

Jump to solution

Good to see you are up and running now yes that cd issue was what I was asking about. Something MS updated broke  the cd install for SA for older cds.

If not done so already please mark as answered.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

You may just need to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Next step is to run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MCPR removes any remaining traces of McAfee that fail to remove when you did the uninstall. Login to your online McAfee account and download your software and see if this corrects the poblem.

Another way to try to get SA installed is to follow the instructions in this linkhttp://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100862

Let us know if this works for you

digitalecartoon
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

I'd installed a new harddrive and installed windows7 brand new. Then installed mcafee virusscan plus and it failed right away to install site advisor with it. So there hasn't been any mcafee product before it. Completely uninstall it and reinstall doesn't help either. Everything installs except Site Advisor with the 'failed to install' message in the summary screen. I'll try to install the standalone version, but still I'm wondering why it just won't install it as part of the virusscan plus package when the hard drive and windows 7 operating system are both brand new installed? This seem to happen just recently according to some recent post at the mcafee forum. Also read this article: http://www.inforats.com/mcafee-siteadvisor-not-working. Can someone explain why installing site advisor as part of a package recently is failing to install? What's to blaim?

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Not sure why you are having this issue but another thought just occured to me. Try running http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/default.html?en-us this is the McAfee Virtual Technician. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them It generates a session id number which you should reference here in your thread so we have a record of it, but it also will prompt you to contact Technical Support Chat which has the ability to remote connect into your computer to see what might be conflicting. You need to give them permission to do so and they have more diagnostic tools available than I do.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

I have assked our Techs why as a question in our Monday call. Seems this is more widespread than I thought wrt the link you gave.

Hopefully MVT as Tom suggested helps

digitalecartoon
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

So these Techs are from McAfee and will review this question on Monday? MVT didn't find any problems as expected. Has anyone else recently installed a Virusscan Plus or any other package and had 'install siteadvisor' listed as 'failed' in the summary screen? It seems to be a recent issue. As it used to install fine when I still had windows xp on the same computer. Now I've got a new harddrive and windows7 home premiun 64bit, firefox 3.6.7., internet explorer 8, the rest is the same. But SiteAdvisor has been listed as 'failed to install' from day one.

Message was edited by: digitalecartoons on 7/25/10 2:37:21 AM CDT

Message was edited by: digitalecartoons on 7/25/10 2:37:58 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes Mcafee high level techs attend the moderator link up each Monday.

Ok if still an issue tomorrow will uninstall and reinsall my test box though rather not as it is stable atm

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Uninstalled fully today rebooted reinstalled after cleaning with the MCPR cleaning tool and all installed. You still got this?

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Is this a CD install?

digitalecartoon
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

I've decided after running MVT to chat with mcafee which for a moment took over my pc and installed the standalone plugin from the siteadvisor site. Initially this failed to. Then he ran IE and siteadvisor worked there. Then he opened FF and it didn't have siteadvisor. He wanted to reboot my mc but didn't click 'ok' to reboot it. Probably because the chat session would be lost. I decided to install the plugin again and after rebooting FF it had siteadvisor too.  So it seems that viruscan plus 2010 had problems with the recent FF version. Does virusscan plus 2010 even still exists? Maybe it was looking for an old version of FF and couldn't cope with the recent one? They also said that there was an issue with a cd install and siteadvisor which fails. Perhaps recently cause back when I had XP it installed just fine. A windows 7 issue perhaps? Glad it works now, but they were a bit vague about why exactly it fails as a cd install and doesn't fail when downloading from siteadvisor.com.

Message was edited by: digitalecartoons on 7/26/10 5:49:11 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community