cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve404
Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: site advisor now identifying almost all sites as risky !

Jump to solution

The Site Advisor pop-ups are gone!

I took Hayton’s advice and found that an extension had somehow gotten on my Firefox browser on 10 Dec, the day this all started.. As he suggested, I disabled it, and that ended all the false Site Advisor pop-ups! 

I think I was in error when I stated that some of the pop-ups were red. They were coming so often, and I was clicking them shut so often, that I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention to the color of the pop-ups. I just wanted them off the screen! But during the barrage last night, I saw that all of them were yellow. None were red.

My thanks to Hayton and all others who provided advice and suggestions regarding my pop-up problem. Forums like this one are always so helpful to rather low-tech people like me!

Steve

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 15

Jump to solution

Usually I would let threads like this lie&die, but I think further clarification is needed because unless we agree to delete it, this thread will exist on the Internet for eternity.

Last evening the Site Advisor started identifying almost all sites I went to as either yellow (suspicious ) or sometimes red (high risk). 

I think what you actually meant was "I get a yellow popup to srvsinf.com" for every site I visit"

And when you said

Does anyone know if this is going to be corrected, or is this new, never-ending stream of false warnings the way McAfee will now be operating?  

What you perhaps really meant was "Can anyone help me fix the legitimate warnings I am getting which lead me to believe something unusual is affecting my browsing experience?"

Real people create Site Advisor, and the reputation db it works on. They do actually care about users and have pride in their work - accusing them of doing a sloppy job just smarts.

Finally, thankyou Hayton for having the patience to see this through for the good of the community. I am always overwhelmed by the effort and expertise you and your fellow volunteer moderators bring to this community.

steve404
Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Jump to solution

I agree with the re-phrasing of my earlier statements.

Before I contacted the McAfee forum, I read through some discussions which seemed to be talking about situations that were similar to mine ( i.e., hacked servers resulting in warnings associated with websites using that server) and I didn’t see any messages referencing steps being planned to try to remedy the fallout of that server hacking problem. And there was no mention of the srvsinf.com connection described by Hayton.  So with all that, I was asking if there were any plans to fix the server hacking issue that I thought was the thing that was effecting me. I see now that my question sounded rude. I apologize for that. I guess I was a little frustrated when I wrote it.  

I don’t know your policy about deleting forum threads, but I’m in agreement to delete this thread if that’s what you feel is best.

And again, my thanks to the forum members for all their help in this,

Steve

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Jump to solution

Delete? No, we don't delete an entire thread unless it contains highly offensive or inflammatory or defamatory material, and that's very rare. Sometimes an individual post will go, and very occasionally the posts of a user who's really riled us. But a whole thread? Once in a blue moon.

First posts are often a little on the agitated side. Somone posting who has already done everything that they know how to do and still has a problem is probably going to be a little on edge and inclined to blame the software/company/support staff/whatever. Things usually quieten down after a post or two (with - shudder - one or two quite memorable exceptions).

@steve404, the clue was that you said SiteAdvisor was objecting to every site. It doesn't do that unless something is delivering objectionable content along with the webpages, and that often means an unwanted browser extension has been snuck in under the radar. It does happen. (Although, of course, this was just a piece of adware that kicks in for almost every webpage and tries to give you a "shopping experience", ugh.)  If you delete or disable the extension in one browser better make sure it's not in any other browser you've got.

I'm glad you're all sorted out. If you get any more problems, come back and post again. I like the challenge of investigation (although, sometimes, I draw a blank. That happens too).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/12/13 17:27:59 GMT
to2learn
Former Member
Message 15 of 15

Jump to solution

Hello and Seasonal Greetings to all,

That photo carryiing the WHOA type warning from my McAfee protector is what I keep on getting.  Now in search of a possible solution to such, thank you

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community