cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 61 of 65

Re: "McChHost.exe" process under cmd.exe?

Thanks drghughes.

I'm asking Dev about the version 3.8.141.12 on the second profile, a version I haven't heard of.

Meanwhile, your first screen cap "McAfee Security Scan +" is NOT SiteAdvisor. 
Note: Security Scan + is an advisory tool that our company put together once a market study showed that an alarming number of people had NO malware protection on their computing devices. The tool scans the system and displays when the system is protected (by our VirusScan or a competitor's product) and alerts the owner when it finds no protection.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 62 of 65

drghughes,

Dev has replied and suggests that you

1) uninstall SiteAdvisor,

2) then after uninstalling, open and close chrome,

3) then reinstall.

They also said "I don’t know how he has 3.8, as we’ve never released anything with that version."

drghughes
Former Member
Message 63 of 65

Hi dougk_t3!

Thanks for pointing out the different product.  I'm not sure where that extension came from, though I did notice that McAfee Security Scan Plus did update a few days ago, so maybe that triggered it.

Anyway, I added the SiteAdvisor extension using the method in https://community.mcafee.com/message/319291#319291 and now it is working fine in both profiles.

McAfee SiteAdvisor - 2014_0220e - Chrome update message.JPG

Interestingly, when I click on the Visit website link for Security Scan+ (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bopakagnckmlgajfccecajhnimjiiedh ) I get:

McAfee SiteAdvisor - 2014_0220f - Security Scan Plus removed.JPG

so it looks like someone has changed their mind about that extension.  I wonder what it did?

Note that I don't believe the method:

Dev has replied and suggests that you

1) uninstall SiteAdvisor,

2) then after uninstalling, open and close chrome,

3) then reinstall.

works as I've already tried it in profiles where I've deleted the SiteAdvisor extension.  Only the method set out in https://community.mcafee.com/message/319291#319291 worked.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 64 of 65

Confusion reigns ...

v3.8.141.12 is Security Scan Plus, a freebie that insinuates itself onto your system along with Adobe (and Java) downloads. Best got rid of.

v3.6 is SiteAdvisor itself.  Latest version is still 3.6.5.135 (afaik).

And that Chrome extension you reference appears to belong to Sencha, so perhaps that's a Chrome Store issue.

Edit - Okay, maybe the Sencha thing was a red herring. The Chrome extension crops up in a couple of analysis logs where the users did have, or previously had, McAfee SSP installed.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 21/02/14 04:10:40 GMT

Message was edited by: Hayton on 21/02/14 23:11:13 GMT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 65 of 65

A few days ago, before the latest Chrome update, McChHost ran wild again. Once again it grabbed a gigabyte of memory for an extended period, then released it. I still don't know why it does this.

McChhost running wild again.PNG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community