Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 7

"McAfee WebAdvisor could not be verified for use in Firefox"

In Windows 7, after yesterday's mammoth slew of Microsoft updates finally settled down, I checked my browsers for updates.

Firefox duly updated to version 40.0 and I then checked for updates to FF extensions. Something has changed since the last FF version, because three extensions now have the warning message that you see in the Subject line above their names, followed by "Proceed with caution".  The other two extensions displaying that message are HTTPS Finder and HTTPS Everywhere - so these three aren't exactly from dubious sources.

There is on each line a "More information" link, which goes to

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox

Anyone using Firefox should read this new directive from Mozilla, and so should the WebAdvisor developers.

What is add-on signing?

Mozilla verifies and "signs" add-ons that follow a set of guidelines to ensure that users' information will not be stolen of manipulated. All add-ons hosted on addons.mozilla.orgundergo this review process in order to be verified and signed.

Add-ons hosted on other sites will need to follow the same guidelines in order to be signed by Mozilla.

Out of curiosity, are there any other well-known and known-safe extensions that are not Mozilla-signed?

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: "McAfee WebAdvisor could not be verified for use in Firefox"

It's telling you to be careful really, but you know WebAdvisor is OK so OK it.

I have several Add-Ons in FF 40 showing that warning, all OK

Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant is one very unlikely one.

WebAdvisor

Logitech SetPoint

Mega Download Assistant

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes yes, I know there's no problem with WebAdvisor. All it means is that McAfee has to liaise with Mozilla to get it whitelisted, and they haven't done so. But less experienced users might be alarmed by the Firefox warning.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

It also relates to the Aggressive Approach of Firefox to maintain Market share Mozilla fights to keep users with new Firefox for Windows 10 | Computerworld

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Good morning everyone,

Just a note that the LastPass Password Manager Extension for Firefox I had (version 3.2.16a) displayed the cautionary note you mentioned, HaytonLastPass Tech Support responded to a ticket I submitted stating they recommended LP users download the signed version (3.2.16) from Mozilla's Add-ons Store - which I did.  Caution note is no longer seen.

McAfee WebAdvisor...as you indicated...also shows the cautionary note.  Hopefully, the devs will have it signed by the time the next update occurs.

Cheers!

Pete C.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

The important line from that Computerworld article is this one -

the add-on campaign, just underway, will ultimately disable any add-on not certified and digitally signed by Mozilla.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Let's hope the Devs have read that part. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community