Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

problems with site advisor

Jump to solution

A while back i was in a discusion here about the updates for site advisor.I noticed that some people had differant versions.I have heard that it depends what area you are in regarding the version you may have.As of today i still have 3.1.0.175.Well today i ran virtual tech because i did not recieve my updated dats for 2 days.low and behold it said my site advisor needed to be updated to 3.1.0175??Does anyone know why this would occer. Also why when i go to the page using update now button in MVT it brings me to a page that i cant update with??      SA 4.JPG site advisor.JPGSA 2.JPG

Message was edited by: Joe Namath on 2/17/11 8:30:35 PM EST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
btrombley
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 17

Re: problems with site advisor

Jump to solution

newjack wrote:

Are you talking about uninstalling from the control panal(programs and features)?Then just uninstall that portion of the program?Not sure as mcafee security center is the only Item in there.    Thanks,newjack

Yes.  Open the uninstaller for SecurityCenter via Control Panel ("add/remove programs" in XP, "uninstall programs" in Win 7).  You'll have two options: one to uninstall SecurityCenter and another to uninstall SiteAdvisor.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

Hey guys,Can anyone update me on the status of my version of Site advisor.Last updated on 10/21/2010.Like i have mentioned before.The version number 3.1.175 is what I have.Site advisor called for an update when doing a scan with Mcafee Virtual tech.But when i clicked on the update now button in MVT it brought me to the page up top.There was no update.Still trying to figure this out.Thanks for any suggestions                   newjack

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

This got raised in one of the conference calls and as I recall the answer was that you must have an OS that doesn't support a later version of SA. The latest updates have all rolled out now so you should have been updated to something later than last October's version.

One way to check would be to uninstall McAfee and reinstall, and see what version of SA you end up with. A lot of trouble to go to, but that would give you a pretty definitive answer.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

Jump to solution

Thank you for answering this Hayton.But I have Win 7.The computer is fairly new.I wont even say what I want to say because it will not matter anyway.I have dealt with countless problems.I cant even say they were all Mcafee`s,because this would be unfair.But we all have known about the updating problem with Mcafee.What I dont understand like I said in the 1st post.Why then would virtual tech give me an option to update.Then bring me to a page that sells you the paid version??To uninstall the entire product again,because an employee wont look into why nothing updates properly is crazy.I strongly put the emphasis on again.I read somewhere on another site a person said Mcafee`s best product was the MCPR.I thought that it was kind of funny.But after all the uninstall,reinstalls I guess that the joke is on me.Thanks for the help.All of the people on these forums are great.They really put in alot of their own time to help people out.Just wish i could get the same from the people I paid. The answer is not always as simple as ancient operating system or users fault.          Thanks for the reply     

As a side note we had this conversation a few months ago.still no fix     

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/23/11 8:47:53 AM EST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution

Newjack, go to http://www.siteadvisor.com/ and click on the Free Download button. I just tried it and what it is asking me is, do I want to continue downloading version 3.3.0.176_p2.exe - in other words, the latest version.

Try it and see what version it gives you.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

Thanks Hayton,But I have a few Questions first.

1.Is the free version the same as the one that comes with the Mcafee security package?

2.If it is,will it over write the existing program?

Thanks newjack

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

Jump to solution

Just so you know.I went there & it is also 3.3.0  If you know the answers to my Questions I guess I will be able to update it.

I know that I had a problem with site advisor about a year ago.When I uninstalled and reinstalled I ended up with S.A only running in 1 browser.Thanks again for your time.

Still not sure why it will not update from the About option.

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/24/11 9:16:46 AM EST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Jump to solution

The free one will be the basic model, but I get along with that one okay. It should just overwrite your existing version and replace files where needed. In any case I'm not sure you can uninstall just SA any more.

Beats me why your About option wouldn't give you the latest, but maybe it's got an update path hardwired into it and that url's been replaced? I know parts of the site have been changed around a lot.

newjack
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

Thanks Hayton,I don't believe there is as answer as to why things don't update.I do however dread the Idea of an Uninstall then reinstall for a site advisor update.At this point I could probably do it blindfolded.......But I will pass.Thanks for your time.Very much appreciated.                        newjack

newjack
Former Member
Message 10 of 17

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if it is possible to uninstall siteadvisor by itself?As opposed to uninstalling the entire Mcafee security center to update site advisor.I was thinking that I will probably be upgrading to Mcafee 2011 soon enough.So if I could just install the new version until I recieve the entire update.I would give this a try.           Thanks,newjack

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community