Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DellVarrin
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

privacy concerns from privacy policy

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have been reading through other posts like mine and am still quite confused.

Based on the privacy policies it is explicitly stated that website history/search history is stored by mcafee

Here is an example from webadvisor that was found on their website (link is at end because of how long it is)

When McAfee WebAdvisor is installed and running in your browser, it automatically collects information as you browse the web. This information includes:
  • Websites that you visit
  • Searches that you perform

Based on this mcafee can track web history and browsing history which seems like a huge breach of security in many ways...

I have read elsewhere it is anonymous, but when speaking to others they suggested it is all associated with an ID separate from the individual. The problem is that would offers no security whatsoever. All someone would have to do is pull up the log with all the data and see you went to Facebook and see . your name in the URL and...done... no longer secure in any facet. This would mean that Mcaffee is collecting this information in an easily identifiable form.

To make this more concerning there is no retention information listed on their website. It just says they keep data until they don't need it, which could not possibly be more vague.

So here are my questions-

1) is there some form of unique random ID number or other identifier that links all the data together (even if not to the person)?

2) How is data anonymized?

3) At what point realistically is it destroyed? As in do they retain it for 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, etc. on average? 

Here is the link from the above: 

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Re: privacy concerns from privacy policy

Jump to solution

Hello @DellVarrin 

We are sorry that the information provided in the above links wasn't helping you out with the answers for the questions you've raised.

Please visit Privacy & Legal Terms, navigate to the Privacy section and when you scroll down to the bottom, you should find Contact Us section. 

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

@DellVarrin 

We will check and update on this.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
DellVarrin
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Sounds good. 

DellVarrin
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I just wanted to check back and see if you had been able to come up with an answer? 

sivasubramanian
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

@DellVarrin 

We have forwarded your queries to the concerned team and awaiting for the reply. We will keep you posted once we get any information on the same.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @DellVarrin 

We apologize for the delay in response and appreciate your patience for awaiting reply from us. 

Please visit our Privacy & Legal Terms and also General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that will answer all your queries regarding data privacy.

If you are still not satisfied with the information provided or the answers doesn't help you for the questions you've posted, we request you to submit a request which is present on the same website mentioned above.

Regards,
Madhan M

DellVarrin
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Unfortunately the policies you referred me to were too vague (one of them was just the one I cited above I think).

Also I am unable to use the form submission you mentioned because it only allows a max of 100 characters. This is not enough to explain any of my questions.

Could you just forward this to that team and post their response here? Or maybe there is an email I can send it to? or a phone number I can call (i will then just post what they say here)?

Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @DellVarrin 

We are sorry that the information provided in the above links wasn't helping you out with the answers for the questions you've raised.

Please visit Privacy & Legal Terms, navigate to the Privacy section and when you scroll down to the bottom, you should find Contact Us section. 

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community