Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinbrain
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

microsoft event viewer

Hi all

I have noticed since the site advisor updated to version 2.8.255.
Every time i reboot the computer i have this message in Event Viewer see below:confused:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( McAfee SiteAdvisor Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

All seems to be working okay.

Please be kind as i am not very computer savy "Hence user name pinbrain:o)

Cheers
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

RE: microsoft event viewer

Sorry but I have no idea why that has started appearing. In that respect I'm a pinbrain too!!
You should submit that directly to them using the feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html mentioning the URL for this thread.

As it's the weekend it's unlikely that any technicians would look in here.

I wouldn't let it worry you as long as things are working OK.

It may be a while before someone gets back to you but they will eventually.
pinbrain
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi Ex_Brit

Thanks a million for your reply, and i will contact siteadvisor team by userfeedback as soon as i post this.

Cheers
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

I've also added it to my questions for our weekly conference call with McAfee HQ on Monday.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

By the way, I forgot to ask, what version of Windows and what service pack & browser/version is this?
pinbrain
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Windows xp home Service pack3 IE7 and Firefox 3.o.1

cheers
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Thanks, I'll pass this on. Fill in a feedback form mentioning this thread.
futurefish
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

microsoft event viewer

Hi. I have the same problem. I've been using the SiteAdvisor plugin with Firefox for several months now no problem. Today I downloaded & installed SiteAdvisor for IE. Now I have v.2.8.255 for both IE 7 & Fiirefox 3, the Firefox plugin no longer has an Uninstall option, McAfee SiteAdvisor is now an item in Add or Remove Programs, and there's a new automatic McAfee SiteAdvisor Service. That's all ok, but I would like to lose the Event Viewer Application entry that's generated on every bootup:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 9/15/2008
Time: 12:37:41 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BOB
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( McAfee SiteAdvisor Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

I'm wondering, if I change the McAfee SiteAdvisor Service startup type from Automatic to Manual and reboot, will I get the Event Viewer entry when I launch either browser? Probably.

If I remove McAfee SiteAdvisor from Add or Remove Programs, reboot, download and install the Firefox plugin (not IE), will I be back to normal, or are we stuck?

If I disable the service, will the Firefox plugin still work? It did before.

That would be ok, I only use IE for Microsoft Updates anyway.

So many problems, so little time.

Thx!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Don't start disabling things as it will malfunction. As I stated above the inner workings are known only to SiteAdvisor engineers and they seem to be absent from these forums.

Personally I would just ignore the Event Viewer item. It's obviously not important.

If you uninstalled everything and only went with the Firefox version I don't know what the difference would be.

Use the feedback form please.
CWH803
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

I see these Application Event log entries as well and await any clarification that may occur.

For me they began with Free SiteAdvisor 2.8.277 and still occur with 2.8.292. The McAfee SiteAdvisor Service starts via "Automatic" in this XP Home SP3 IE7 environment.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community