cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ambercakes
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

how to create a blank file for root web?

Someone please help! I am trying to create a blank file so that I can post website owner comments on the siteadvisor website and I guess I am doing it all wrong. Mcafee site is saying:
"Please be sure you have placed the verification file in the root Web directory of your site, using the exact file name listed above." AND

"Create a file with this exact filename in the root Web directory on the Web server of the site you are claiming to own." AND

"To prove you are authorized to represent a site, we ask you to place a specially named, blank file in your root Web directory. Once this file is created, click the "Verify" button to have our servers look for the file on your site. Please be sure that both your site and the verification file are publicly accessible."

Can someone actually tell me how to do this, I am using Yahoo pagebuilder and can use an FTP server as well.

Oh & can the actual siteadvisor guys please rescan my site at ambercakes.com? I recently updated it and did send an email last week but nothing yet. Thanks!:)
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

RE: how to create a blank file for root web?

I'm afraid that is beyond our expertise here. Use SiteAdvisor's Feedback Form to contact them: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html - it can take a while for them to get back to you.

Alternatively contact Technical Support Chat, top left of page or in my signature. The US link is open 24/7. Or try to contact Yahoo PB help, which, if it's like most of Yahoo, notoriously difficult to even find, let alone contact.

Your only other hope is that another Yahoo PB website owner sees this and wades in as I would imagine procedures vary from web host to web host.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

A further search came up with this...

You can create the verification file on your PC. Just open Notepad, and then Save the empty file with the name given to you by the SiteAdvisor website.

You will then need to upload this file to the root of your site (using FTP, WebDav, or HTTP or...).

** assuming that Yahoo PB allows that procedure in the first place.
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

To create a blank file:
- open Notepad in Windows
- do not enter any text
- click File
- click Save As...
- for the filename, enter "exact filename given by the SiteAdvisor website"
(please enter the filename WITH the quotes!)
- then click Save

You now have a blank file, with the appropriate name.

You then need to upload it to your website, for example by using FTP.

On your website, you will need to upload it to the the "root" - this is the same folder/directory on your webite that contains your index.htm (or index.html, or index.php) file.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Bastiaan, it was one of your posts I quoted.
pu1jfc
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Re: how to create a blank file for root web?

<!-- websiteOwnerVerification -->

<meta content='cruzradio.blogspot.com453d39cb7ed5023ec6424eabfddf90b98843fb89l' name='websiteOwnerVerification'/>

<!-- websiteOwnerVerification -->

Thanks!

PU1JFC

"The Lord bless the and keep thee . . ." - Nm 6 .

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/04/12 6:51:10 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Re: how to create a blank file for root web?

The original poster has left the community so am locking this thread.

Thanks for the tip but this thread is 4 years old.  Also please do not post personal information or images and links to outside images, it's against McAfee rules.

If you need help verifying your own site please start a new thread.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/04/12 7:09:47 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community