cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
penwa
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

ZoneAlarm alert: SAservice wants to accept connections from the Internet?

I'm getting a program alert from Zone Alarm asking me if I want to allow SAservice.exe to accept connections from the Internet.

Why does this process need to act as a server?
Tags (1)
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: ZoneAlarm alert: SAservice wants to accept connections from the Internet?

It has to connect with it's database so needs 2-way access. It's not acting as a server, just wants access that's all.
penwa
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

More information please

Thank you for your feed back.

I can't think of any reason why a process would need to act as a server to retrieve information from a database on a McAfee server. The possible excpetion would be if the process was attempting to use the FTP protocol in active mode to transfer data from the server which would require the process to accept an incoming connection for the data channel. This requirement can easily be removed by using FTP in passive mode.

The fact that the process is attempting to accept incoming connections implies that it is "listening" for requests from the network (hopefully from a McAfee server) but this typically introduces an avenue that malware writers can use to infiltrate a user's system (assuming they can find a weakness in the code the server process is running).

Could someone from McAfee support or engineering please explain why the SAservice process needs to accept incoming connections and the effect it would have on the functionality of the product if a user blocks incoming connections to this process?

Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

RE: More information please

I'll see if I can get the attention of a developer.
Grif
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

RE: More information please

Not a developer of the program.. but just a thought...

It's easy to resolve one way or another... Access the ZA settings and "block" it in the "Server/Internet" column.. If the program doesn't work, then you'll know your answer.. If the programs still works as designed, then leave it that way. You also won't continue to get the pop "allow/deny" request.

A number of programs, including ISP's with Internet Explorer and such, attempt to ping their program so they can stay connected or update, or confirm it's presence, etc.. SiteAdvisor DOES update.. Most don't require the "Server" setting to be "allowed".. Some do.. Changing the settings to "block" the server option generally won't cause an issue.. If it does, you have a decision to make.

Hope this helps.

Grif
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community