cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbjamie
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Workaround for that horrific 2.8

I have a workaround to that horrific 2.8 issue.

First, I have to attribute this idea to Acadia (see this post)

The procedure is to install System Safety Monitor, a HIPS program (Host Intrusion Prevention System . . . a program that will notify you of any attempt to install new software, like the 2.8 update, and block it if you so choose), then uninstall the 2.8 Site Advisor using Revo Uninstaller to dig out all the registry remnants, then install Site Advisor 2.6.

System Safety Manager is a free HIPS, that can be downloaded at http://www.syssafety.com/ . I chose this because it is a free program, and I didn't know if it would work, so I didn't want to pay right away. However, you can choose any HIPS program.

Note: HIPS programs are notoriously difficult to use and understand, unless you are an experienced user. That's another reason I chose System Safety Monitor, because it has a "learning" mode and it picks up rules from your daily use. The GUI is also easeir to understand than some others, and there is a forum link on the System Safety Monitor wep page.

There is an interesting discussion on System Safety Monitor on the Wilders forum here , but it's mostly on the retail pay version.

I downloaded Site Advisor version 2.6 from the Major Geeks site here because I didn't want to go to the McAfee site and perhaps have it do the 2.8 download.

BTW, there was a security concern expressed by jopa66 here . I checked my Documents and Settings\Local Service\Application Data\SACore\Cache, and indeed there was a list there. But it must've been stored by 2.8 when it was on my machine, because I deleted it and 2.6 didn't put anything back there (and I tested it by Googling when in 2.6). Interestingly, Revo must've missed that folder.

Now when I installed 2.6, I checked the version info:

and it showed that I did in fact have 2.6.

Clicking on settings showed that by default, the "Participate in product improvement program" box is checked:

That may be the setting that triggers the 2.8 push when it's still in beta, so I unchecked that just in case.

Since I was probably "protected" against any update without my authorization (with System Safety Monitor), I decided to take a chance and click on "Get latest version" in the Site Advisor drop down. To my surprise, it showed that 2.6 WAS the latest version and that I didn't need to do a reinstall:

Now I have my old 2.6 back, it works fine, is NOT buggy like 2.8, and I can manage the toolbar on it, and if Site Advisor attempts to push out an update to 2.8, my HIPs will let me know and I can block it.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Reply
jopa66
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Kudos

Didn't think about Major Geeks. I've now downloaded the v2.6 to keep handy. At this point I'm curious as to how this will all play out with v2.8 so I'll keep that one installed for now. They've already fixed some of the issues that were mentioned before. As for HIPS, I currently use ProcessGuard which is also available in a FREE version here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php

I had originally allowed the update to SiteAdvisor since it was an app that I trusted. (At least I did then.) In any event, for those with the v2.8 issues I've posted a temporary workaround to eliminate the list of websites in the cache folder. See my original thread.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community