cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gotaquestion
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Where has SiteAdvisor gone? (Firefox, MacOSX)

Hey,
I'm using the latest version of Firefox (3.0.5) on Mac OSX 10.4.11 and I have SiteAdvisor 28.0 installed and enabled.

However I can't see the SiteAdvisor button or SiteAdvisor results in my Google searches!

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SiteAdvisor.

Is anyone else having the same problem or know how to solve it???

Thanks for your help
x
8 Replies
opsman000
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

RE: Where has SiteAdvisor gone? (Firefox, MacOSX)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same problem, only with Vista.

Solution is to click on Tools and under Options choose Main and in the Startup box under Home Page click on Restore to Default.
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Let me know how did you install SiteAdvisor? was it downloaded using firefox or IE?
If it is using IE try using firefox to download
gotaquestion
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Ah Stil not working!!!!

Same problem, only with Vista.

Solution is to click on Tools and under Options choose Main and in the Startup box under Home Page click on Restore to Default.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately this does not make any difference. I'm not really sure how changing my home page would affect SiteAdvisor? Perhaps you misunderstood the problem... Even though SiteAdvisor is installed I can not see any of those little green ticks or red crosses alongside my google searches.

Would be very grateful for any help
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

RE: Ah Stil not working!!!!

I'm trying to think what's wrong here and can't, sorry. Have you made sure that SiteAdvisor is allowed through your firewall? Unfortunately MAC platform isn't supported here so none of us have a clue about how things work. You could try Technical Support Chat, linked in my signature. They are open 24/7.
opsman000
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

RE: Ah Stil not working!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original problem was that the green SiteAdvisor check marks adjacent to the site results after a Google search disappeared while using Firefox 3.06 under Vista. No problem with IE. This has happened before but somehow corrected itself.

I tried about everything to correct the problem. I downloaded the SiteAdvisor plug-in using Firefox. Three times. Nothing changed. I downloaded a new cy of Firefox and reinstalled, BUT I didn't uninstall it first just reinstalled the new over the old.

A curiosity that I noticed after restarting the computer to initiate the changes to Firefox after installing the SiteAdvisor plug-in, the plug-in would log onto the McAfee site to show the bennies from using the plug-in but it would always do so with IE rather than Firefox. This is after making sure that I changed my default browser to Firefox. Not sure what that's all about--seems the plug-in is coded to used IE for the follow-up logon. This may be a concern.

At any rate, the problem was immediately solved when I used "Restore to Default" for "Home Page" in the Tool, Options, Main pane in the "Startup box".

Getting back to the home page--Firefox defaults to "Google with the Firefox icon" when you use "Restore to Default" under the Tools, Options menu. My home page previously was Google but without the Firefox icon.

Another note is that even without the green check marks the McAfee search toolbar at the bottom of Firefox still worked but I couldn't effect any changes using the drop down menu.
RedSox
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I have the same problem here with Vista. When I type in www.google.com, the results come up with no Siteadvisor ratings next to them. When I search Google from the Firefox toolbar window, though, the results come up with the Siteadvisor ratings.
gotaquestion
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Fixed

Just managed to fix it by reinstalling firefox and all the extensions!!!

Thanks for your help
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

RE: Fixed

Must have been corrupted, Glad it's fixed.
Locking topic.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community