Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jb80
Former Member
Message 1 of 39

Website blocked...why?

Jump to solution

My church's website that I am the admin over has been blocked by Mcafee and labeled as a high risk site.

The Website is www.newportchurchofthebrethren.org    and also ncob.webs.com

I can no longer get to either one and this makes it very difficult for me to update the site and then check it to see that all is ok afterward.  My whole network here at home is blocked.  It has been categorized as Religion/Ideology and set as a high risk site.  I am very agitated at the moment for having even allowed Mcafee on my computer in the first place.
My site is hosted at Webs.com and there seems to be no problem with the hosting site part since I can go login as normal.  But to actually use the church URL is impossible for me.  Others that have not used Mcafee on their computers do not have this problem and therefore they get to see the site just fine.  It seems I'm the one with the problem.

I know longer have Mcafee on my computers.

Can someone please explain why it has been labeled high risk and tell me how to fix it so I can get there again? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jb80
Former Member
Message 23 of 39

Re: Website blocked...why?

Jump to solution

Site has now been evaluated and deemed 'Minimal Risk'.  This thread is considered taken care of.

View solution in original post

38 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 39

Jump to solution

​,

Please follow these Guidelines/Instructions to get your Site re-evaluated;

I might add that creating a ticket with 'TrustedSource' is by far the quickest.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 39

Jump to solution

Moved from  Support Forums to McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor) > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jb80
Former Member
Message 4 of 39

Jump to solution

Yes, I have already done that.  I was discouraged to see..."These requests will be addressed within an average of 3-5 business days with some requests requiring additional review and taking longer."

When you're an admin of a website, 3-5 business days can be a very long time.  I was hoping someone could tell me how to get around the problem until it is fixed.  Plus, since this is the second time I've had to deal with this, I have very little confidence that it will be fixed like it should be.  Thanks for your response.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 39

Jump to solution

If  you could kindly provide me a Current (Ticket Number) I can  personally contact someone internally on your behalf, and escalate your case.

Also ( Alternatively speaking ), If you are entirely certain there is no issue, you should be capable of (Accepting the Risk) and proceed to accessing your site, until it has been re-evaluated.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
stevecuzcousins
Contributor
Message 6 of 39

Jump to solution

Our church website has been marked as medium risk too when I know 100% that it is clean.

I am concerned that "religious" content might be seen as risk??

If adware etc has been detected on the website then why is the report so vague and in no ways helps towards resolving the issue.

I found other online tools than scan websites for adware etc and our site has come back clean.

jb80
Former Member
Message 7 of 39

Jump to solution

I am unable to supply you a ticket number.  In my haste to somewhat 'complain' about the labeling of our church's website I neglected to see that I could have created an account to use...so therefore I guess I'm screwed.  I'm not sure if I go back and re-submit my complaint through a login if it would do any good or not.
As for 'Accepting the Risk', ...if that would have ever been a choice I probably would not have shown up in this forum complaining about what has happened since I KNOW the website is a safe site.  This site has been up and running for 3 years.  McAfee has a way of sneaking its apps in on the computer through 3rd party means.  I have always ignored its activity and disregarded it...however this time it seems something happened that now has me blocked.  Luckily I've not heard any of our church members complaining about not being able to access the site and have warned them to not use McAfee and now I have to rely on them by asking a member of the church to go look for me and see if the updates I make are showing.

jb80
Former Member
Message 8 of 39

Jump to solution

I too am concerned about religious content being looked upon as a risk and am now concerned of discrimination!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 39

Jump to solution

There can be a myriad reasons why a website is considered risky and of course any of those could be an error and I can assure you content is rarely, if ever, the reason.     No detailed information is given publicly so you have to deal with Trusted Source.  Who knows, it may have something to do with the host servers, but that will be discovered when you deal with them.

Check Single URL

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 39

Jump to solution

McAfee has a way of sneaking its apps in on the computer through 3rd party means.

That never happens if you keep an eye on the 3rd party software installer and refuse it.    Adobe for instance offers McAfee Security Scan Plus as an optional download.  Many people overlook that in their haste and let it in.  All it is is a security software advertising tool and is easily uninstalled in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

That form of cross-pollination, for want of a better expression, keeps costs down by doing a bit of free publicity.   A common practice among almost all software manufacturers.

It keeps the free apps free and the price of the others down.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community