cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ransomedbyfire
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

WebAdvisor rates links on Facebook but not on Google.com?

Just about all of the links I see in my newsfeed on Facebook while using Chrome have WebAdvisor ratings. But, if I Google a link I saw on Facebook, it'll show up in the results with no WebAdvisor rating. In the Google results, only a few sites, including Wikipedia and McAfee's own site seem to have WebAdvisor ratings. Why? And how can I fix this?

For example, on Facebook, yofreesamples.com has a rating.

On Google, it does not.

1 Reply
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: WebAdvisor rates links on Facebook but not on Google.com?

We're seeing here the result of different versions of the program running. Facebook has its own WebAdvisor hookup, so you see results there separately from the Chrome setup. And WebAdvisor in Chrome is implemented outside the standard WebAdvisor mechanism because of Google's rules. So when Chrome starts up a separate process is spawned to deal with WebAdvisor and - as I just said in another thread - there's a glitch, long known about, whereby the Chrome process sometimes fails to do the initial handshaking with the servers. Quite often it will start up spontaneously after some random time interval. I just ignore it and wait for it to kick in, which it usually does, but you could try restarting Chrome, or going into the Extensions page and disabling/re-enabling the WebAdvisor extension. No guarantees, and I don't bother, but it might do the trick. A lot of times I think it's down to network latency, beyond your control.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community