Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drghughes
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

WebAdvisor not working in Firefox running under a user account

Jump to solution

I noticed that SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor had disappeared from Firefox so I reinstalled it using a fresh download of saSetup.exe (version 4.0.1.0).  This installed WebAdvisor v4.0.126 according to the Control Panel, but the WebAdvisor add-on still doesn't appear in Firefox.

By chance, I ran Firefox under my administrator account and was very surprised to see that WebAdvisor was there.  Checking again under my user account and WebAdvisor definitely isn't there in Firefox.  I even tried creating a test Firefox profile and WebAdvisor doesn't appear there either.

WebAdvisor does work in Chrome under my user account, so it is not an account issue.

Has anyone else noticed that WebAdvisor doesn't work in Firefox when it is running under a user account?

Windows 7 Home SP1 64 bit

Firefox v40.0.2

WebAdvisor v4.0.126

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drghughes
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Re: WebAdvisor not working in Firefox running under a user account

Jump to solution

I've been meaning to get back to this after finding that it was actually caused by using a Firefox profile stored somewhere other than the default location, i.e. outside of %appdata%.

The good news is that this seems to have been fixed in v4.0.1.161.  I've seen this on a Windows 7 system, and I'm waiting for WebAdvisor to update on my Windows 10 system to confirm that it is fixed there too.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Firefox doesn't like it (what does it like?) so you'll have to actually enable it in Add-ons.

Not sure what you mean by that bit about a user account as it's always running under a user account - whatever user is logged in.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

At least you are on a more 'Current Version' than I.   I am running v4.0.1.124/ Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
drghughes
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

The add-on doesn't appear on the add-ons page, so there is nothing to enable.

For accounts, for user, read standard - see Change a user's account type - Windows Help

A standard account has less access than an administrator account and so should be used for your everyday activities.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

catdaddy wrote:

drghughes,

At least you are on a more 'Current Version' than I.   I am running v4.0.1.124/ Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

CD

Same here on W7 and 10.  I think the version must depend on locale/language etc.

drghughes
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

I had v4.0.124 until I reinstalled, so there's probably just a slight difference between the absolute current version and what the auto update process is providing.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

drghughes wrote:

The add-on doesn't appear on the add-ons page, so there is nothing to enable.

For accounts, for user, read standard - see Change a user's account type - Windows Help

A standard account has less access than an administrator account and so should be used for your everyday activities.

As long as you are logged in as an Admin it should show at the very bottom of the Add-ons list as disabled, you may have to scroll down.   Or you may need to reboot in order for it to show.

Then it should show under all usr accounts.

Try enabling it in IE11, sometimes that works when another browser doesn't.   The settings migrate across browsers.

drghughes
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

I've been meaning to get back to this after finding that it was actually caused by using a Firefox profile stored somewhere other than the default location, i.e. outside of %appdata%.

The good news is that this seems to have been fixed in v4.0.1.161.  I've seen this on a Windows 7 system, and I'm waiting for WebAdvisor to update on my Windows 10 system to confirm that it is fixed there too.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Good news, thanks for posting back.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community