cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaheirah
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

WebAdvisor not working in Firefox 83.0

Ever since Firefox updated to version 83.0 WebAdvisor doesn't appear to be working properly.

The button for it appears on the Firefox toolbar, but when clicked a new tab opens containing only a large greyed out McAfee shield with an exclamation mark inside. Prior to the update, clicking the WebAdvisor button opened a side panel displaying information about pages scanned/blocked etc and allowing you to access options or the page report for the current site. Now just a new tab with that shield with an exclamation mark inside! I'm also not getting any colour coded annotations when I perform a search, although the button on the toolbar appears to giving a colour safety rating for the current site and if I type a slightly wrong url (such as gogle.com) it is corrected..

I currently have McAfee® WebAdvisor 8.1.0.331 installed as a standalone extension. A few weeks ago it was installed as part of my security suite (McAfee Internet Security 3 Devices)..After an update to WebAdvisor, search ticks stopped appearing so to try and remedy the problem, I disabled the extension and closed down Firefox, and when I launched Firefox again, and went to re-enable it, it had disappeared. I tried to reinstall from the link in the main McAfee program and nothing happened. When I removed it via 'uninstall programs' and then tried reinstalling from the link inside the main McAfee program, it installed the standalone extension, which has worked until now.

It's really frustrating not having something I rely upon to keep my machine safe working properly. Can anyone help?

5 Replies
siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: WebAdvisor not working in Firefox 83.0

We are sorry to hear that WebAdvisor stopped working after the recent update. I have sent a private message. Please check and respond.

Jaheirah
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Can't this be sorted out in forum!?

I've had several minor but niggling problems with McAfee software over the years, and every time they've been successfully sorted out via this forum.

WebAdvisor still appears to still be working, as things like Typo Protection are still happening. But clicking the button on the Firefox toolbar just opens that useless tab I described which doesn't allow any other functionality. They've upgraded the JavaScript engine in Firefox 83 so could this be causing the issue, by not allowing the extension's control panel to open properly?

Jaheirah
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

And why is it so difficult to reinstall WebAdvisor? It says it's installed in the main McAfee interface, but since I removed it via Windows Control Panel 'remove programs' it won't reinstall, other than in the standalone extension version. I've noticed another recent thread with someone having the same issue about not being able to reinstall:-

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/WebAdvisor/WEBADVISOR-WILL-NOT-RE-INSTALL/m-p/669685

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall the whole security suite to get an extension working!

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 6

so you do not see this if not best let the mods comment further oh I am on FF 83.0 seems yours a bit corrupted

Clipboard.jpg

Jaheirah
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

If I click on the WebAdvisor button on the toolbar I get this:-

WA.jpg

This only started happening after WebAdvisor updated to 8.1.0.331 and Firefox to 83.0. Prior to these updates, the window you show in your picture opened when the toolbar button was clicked.

I can't tell which one has caused this issue as they both updated prior to this problem arising.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community