Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 71 of 104

Re: WebAdvisor hogging memory

Jump to solution

​,

I would strongly advise to (Not) disable your (RTS) Module. As that will leave you susceptible to Exploits/Infections. McAfee Web Advisor does more than simply inform a User if the Site/Application is safe. It goes more steps further in Blocking of Malicious Downloads/Protects your passwords and so on.

Hopefully this issue will be sorted out very soon, as I personally know they are diligently working to resolve the issue. Using (Wot) is simply a Compatible alternative. To answer your question in reference if you are still safe, the answer is yes.

Simply leave all of your other Features enabled, as the (RTS) has many (Layers) of protection

All the very best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 72 of 104

Jump to solution

Unless there has been a major product restructuring, WebAdvisor remains a separate program outside of the core McAfee programs. That's why it's possible to uninstall WebAdvisor while leaving the main program running normally. It has no connection with Real-Time Scanning so turning RTS on or off has no effect.

The reason why WebAdvisor springs back to life after you kill it is probably to be found in the Services section. If you can find WebAdvisor in there bring up its details and see whether it's set to auto-restart (it probably is).

The point about the Anniversary Update may be significant, as several bugs have been noted. No-one on the Microsoft forums or Windows-related blogs has mentioned WebAdvisor as far as I know. If anyone here is reporting this memory problem on Windows 7 that may still mean a recent Microsoft KB update is responsible.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 73 of 104

Jump to solution

Thanks Mate for delving much deeper in depth.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sherrb1158
Contributor
Message 74 of 104

Jump to solution

Got it, Cliff.  I only tried disabling RTS as a clumsy end-user attempt at stopping the WA process from restarting and incapacitating my system.  Since uninstalling WA I again have my SecurityCenter set for all functions to be active/enabled.  Things seem to be fine so far.  Hopefully, after re-enabled Malwarebytes Pro after I worked with the tech support engineer, I should have been safe from intrusions and malware during that time. I am re-running a Malwarebytes Pro full scan w/ rootkits, memory and full heuristics right now, then will follow-up with a full on-demand McAfee scan.

I'll report back if any issues are detected.

Thanks again for your assistance.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 75 of 104

Jump to solution

Again, you are quite welcome

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sherrb1158
Contributor
Message 76 of 104

Jump to solution

Thanks for that additional info, Hayton.  Being an old systems programmer, albeit pretty ignorant on the new Windows platforms, I appreciate being able to understand some of the underlying functions of what I run on my system ... although all of us seem to be pretty much powerless in regard to Microsoft taking control and having it's way with our end-user systems OS and settings whenever they choose!  ; ={

I can tell you that I found at least two hits on a Google keyword search of some combination of "McAfee excessive memory cpu Windows 10 anniversary update" a couple of days ago.  I don't recall the exact sites, and I have my system set to delete search history upon browser close, but I think I recall one being on the BleepingComputer dot com site and possibly the Microsoft Windows 10 update forum.  I'm somewhat tied up right now, but I'll try to find them in a while by just Google searching.   I can tell you that there are at least a couple of hits for Norton Antivirus regarding CPU hogging with Windows 10 "anniversary" update.  Very strange coincidence, (CPU vs Memory), and possibly unrelated, except if there are common "exit points" for active real time security programs that MS is not handling properly. 

Again ... Thank you to your McAfee Engineering and end-user support team for recognizing this as a valid problem and being responsive in staying engaged and maintaining communications with us.  That is SOOO rare these days in the world of end-user/residential software support.  Problems always happen with software, especially when tied to such critical and sensitive system functions.  I know your job is not an easy one ... but it is recognized, acknowledged and appreciated.

sherrb1158
Contributor
Message 77 of 104

Jump to solution

Cliff ... My Malwarebytes full/rootkit/memory/heuristics scan just completed with zero issues detected.  I am starting my on-demand McAfee full scan now.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 78 of 104

Jump to solution

That's great !   It has been a very long day, so am calling it a night.

Please pay close attention to the thread, as I am certain it will be updated.

Again,

All the very Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_127173
Former Member
Message 79 of 104

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

Our Engineering Team is interested in working on affected PC where the CPU/Memory Usage is very high. Please reply back for immediate action.

Regards,

Abhishek

kurtwagner
Former Member
Message 80 of 104

Jump to solution

abhishek.adhikari wrote: Our Engineering Team is interested in working on affected PC where the CPU/Memory Usage is very high.

The way that you write this confuses me a little from what I have seen.  When I login to my computer WA automatically starts, but the CPU and Memory usage is rather low.  What happens is that it continues to grow over time until it eventually locks up the whole system.  So if you want to see the CPU and Memory usage high, I would have to know what the threshold is and then let WA run until it was reached.  Maybe you could clarify what you are looking for.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community