Did you mean: 
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 11 of 104

Re: WebAdvisor hogging memory

Jump to solution

madmurphy,

Did you try Selvan's suggestions?  With what result?

If it's not resolved, would you be willing to let Selvan remote to your system and collect some logs so we can figure out what's wrong?

jerryatrick
Former Member
Message 12 of 104

Jump to solution

I use FF(FireFox)100% of the time.

About 2 weeks ago the Web Advisor was installed.  Recently, I noticed my PC running slower and then sloooooower. Did some checking and task manager showed the web advisor was slowly increasing memory and had already eaten 12G of my 16G PC.

I am running Win 7 Pro on a pretty fast box. Not sure if any of my other specs matter.

Anyway,

I turned off the Web Advisor in FF, no change.

I removed Web Advisor using Programs and Features, then tested.

No creeping memory leak and FF now uses less memory.

Hope this helps someone

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 104

Jump to solution

SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor should be quiescent when you're not actively browsing, but anecdotal evidence suggests there may be abnormal behaviour related to server connection problems in certain areas of the world - all comms go to the central server facilities in California as far as I know.

Which part of the world are you in? It might be relevant (then again, it might not). I believe the OP is in Britain or Ireland, I'm in the UK and I've seen my fair share of WebAdvisor glitches - I haven't seen this one yet but I'm watching for it.

If it's a browser extension issue, well, I know FireFox does have some notable memory leaks but you might need to haunt the Mozilla Forums to get an idea of whether that is an area currently under investigation.

jtendler
Contributor
Message 14 of 104

Jump to solution

I had the same problem and went to tech support.  I downloaded their analysis tool, mvt.exe, that said mit identified some problems and then corrected them.  It seems to have fixed the problem.  Beforehand We Advisor was reported as taking ~26 GB of memory (no typo).  Now it's down to ~700 MB (after a restart).  I still think this is a lot.  Hopefully it does not continue to grow, though it appears like it is.

I am on Version 4

Build 4.0.3.266

Affld 885

with Firefox 48.0.2

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 104

Jump to solution

Thanks for updating us with that.  The tool in question was most likely the Virtual Technician and is publicly available at http://mvt.mcafee.com/

jerryatrick
Former Member
Message 16 of 104

Jump to solution

I'm in Canada.

Also noticed Web Advisor increasing its mem usage by the second with Firefox closed. Only APP running was Bitcomet.

I didnt troubleshoot much past this. As I dont need or really use it, the simplest solution was to remove it and test.

I did notice many references to mem leaks as far back as 2012...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 104

Jump to solution

Yes but to be a major issue it has to effect a lot of people and there are only 3 or 4 people reporting it here.

What happened if you closed Bitcomet, or didn't you try that?

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 18 of 104

Jump to solution

Actually I have had the same issue recently.  I also had issues with another part of the McAfee software in the spring, and I wonder if they could be related...

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/88388

Either way, I am showing CPU usage at over 95% when this occurs.  If I open task manager and attempt to click 'end task' on McAfee it will not shut it down.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 104

Jump to solution

This usually happens when WA can't reach its server.  Are any of you using proxy connections or VPN?   This often prevents software functioning correctly.  

This is just a thought not a solution.

Meanwhile I've added this to our Conference Call with McAfee staff tomorrow afternoon.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 20 of 104

Jump to solution

I'm not using either of those. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community